Discuss Outside light & rcd in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimmyb

Do outside light require rcd protection ?

All cables are surface monuted in conduit in store room and then though the wall to outside and upto light.

RCD is not required if the light is fixed to the building from which it is supplied.

then that would mean rcd protecion is required for the cable but as tel said lighting fixed to building has no requirement for rcd

now im lost , but i would say yes cause its outside and yes to protect the cable if not surface mounted or less than 50mm in fabric....

The rationale here is that as it's attached (and not buried) then no idiot should put a drill through it (unless it's a kitchen fitter with a long drill bit from the other side of the wall ;) ).

The conduit (mech protection) eliminates the need for the RCD, assuming that the circuit is designated for this outside light and not tapped off the existing lighting circuit/FCU from ring, then you would need to upgrade that circuit so as it was covered by a RCD, again on the likely presumption that there would be cables buried in the wall for ring main/lighting circuit

telectrix, you are implying that an outside light not fixed to the building from which it is supplied requires RCD protection. Why?
I don't think it does (unless it is supplied via a socket outlet).

please excuse my bluntness but thats cobblers, yes it does, read the big red book, you'll find it mentioned!

please excuse my bluntness but thats cobblers, yes it does, read the big red book, you'll find it mentioned!

Where mate?...as far as I am aware fixed equipment outdoors and not covered by section 7 does not require RCD protection....end of.

411.3.3 (ii)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only lights as far as I can see that Require additional protection by the use of an RCD is covered in regulation 559.10.3.2 and are recommended for telephone kiosks bus shelters and those town plan cubicles.

So regardless in a domestic situation of whether to light is attached or not attached to an outside wall, unless you need the additional protection for the cable or for a special location then no the light does not need RCD protection.

Where mate?...as far as I am aware fixed equipment outdoors and not covered by section 7 does not require RCD protection....end of.

411.3.3 (ii)

Crikey. I seem to have got mixed in my regs. Apologies OP for my blunt cobblers. I have learnt something.

I've always believed outside (fixed) equipment required 30mA RCD proctection but maybe it doesn't need it as a rule. I'm just used to it always being there anyway (a new install everything, bar perhaps a surface mounted light in the cupboard where the DB is) will be RCD''d in a house ..... And there's usually a chance the light outside will be fed from a switch with cable hidden in the wall etc etc but I take the point (and found the bit about kiosks, ! :crazy: ) Still a bit dazed at that, still its a big book that red (sorry green) book

as previously stated, fixed equipment outdoors does not require RCD protection except for special locations etc. however, i consider it good practice to fit RCD protection to any outside equipment that has non SWA cable as part if it's installation. e.g. flex from an adaptable box to equipment.

Reply to Outside light & rcd in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net