Discuss Outside lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BruceC

DIY
Reaction score
I wish to install two outside lights & pick up the supply from the existing hall light switch. The hall light switch is a 2 way switch with red wires connected to L2 & COM & black to L1. Is it possible to replace the single switch with a double switch & use a live feed to operate the outside lights?

doubtful. it looks like you don't have a neutral at the switch (unless there ar a couple of blacks in a choc block. you would need to get the neutral from the actual light.

Last edited by a moderator:
doubtful. it looks like you don't have a neutral at the switch (unless there ar a couple of blacks in a choc block. you would need to get the neutral from the actual light.
This is what I’ve got

Attachments

• 0A237BAD-5FCE-4870-A9D8-C2F2CBD0C95B.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 15
I wish to install two outside lights & pick up the supply from the existing hall light switch. The hall light switch is a 2 way switch with red wires connected to L2 & COM & black to L1. Is it possible to replace the single switch with a double switch & use a live feed to operate the outside lights?
Please keep away from it, you have no idea what you are doing

Please keep away from it, you have no idea what you are doing
when i said that same thing on another thread my post was deleted and i got censured by admin. ( and in that case the poster could not tell a switch from his arse).

Looking at the pic and the two CPC’s, could there be a cut back neutral or route back to a neutral somewhere?
carefull. those cpc's could be used as a neutral if OP ain't got more sense.

Thanks for your help but I’ve realised that this is a little beyond my basic knowledge of electrics & so have enlisted the help of a professional
that's the way to go. better be a few quid short of buying a round than being centre stage at a funeral. just think. if it were jointing 2 gas pipes, you'd not even consider it, but leccy is more dangerious. at least you can test for a gas leak with a lit match.

Reply to Outside lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net