Discuss Part P without joining a scheme? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I have a possible job coming up where a neighbour of mine in Scotland is buying a property in England.
Its a flat, and he thinks it needs a full rewire. Until I've seen it, I cant say what all needs done.
Since starting self employed, I haven't joined a scheme yet as the costs are too much at the moment.
TBH I haven't a clue about the Part P except that its required in England.
A few questions, which may have been answered on previous threads so apologies if you're repeating yourselves.

Do I have to join a scheme to be able to use Part P? And will the Scottish Select scheme be allowed? (on the Scotland side, many places only accept Select or NICEIC, none of the others)

Who's responsibility is it to notify the council? Mine, or the homeowners.

Will it be included in any other building works he has to notify?

If there is no notification from either of us to the council, what can be the consequences? Its not a new build, but I am essentially replacing all the electrical system.

Can I get some serious responses and less anti-scots comments. At least until I get a few answers:D

In theory you can notify without being in a scheme, but when I contacted my two local councils to ask about their fees for doing so, they said they would not entertain it unless in a scheme.

Consequences of not notifying in my experience extend only to the hold up of house sales in the future. The rigmarole may need to be gone through then, I have seen this cause sale collapses.

Third party notification is also available in theory through Stroma and Napit. You would have to get in touch with them to find a local scheme member who would be willing to do this.

Hi - non notification may impact the owner's insurance, as they may use that to deny an electrics claim, say. It's also the owner of the property that may be held accountable for the building regulations compliance. I help owners to comply with building regs by doing the building regulation approval for them (via the scheme). Likely someone can help :)

Ive been reading Murdochs link, and understanding most of it.
When I get the address of the property, I can contact the appropriate council about notification.

Regarding home insurance and reselling. Would an EICR not be sufficient for them? ie, A new installation certificate for the homeowner and an EICR with the same results for the insurance co?

essentially if you are not in a scheme then you apply to building control to notify them of the plans, they may ask for drawings etc... then once 1st fix they send somebody out to test it, then on completion again. usually a couple hundred quid, but given the costs your mate will have to pay it may be better to join stroma for around £300 and then you can notify any job you need to in future.

without the paper work and building control notifications, the worse case scenario i have come across is the seller has to fork out around £100 for a insurance indemnity that covers the buyer in the event the wiring doesn't comply and remedial action is needed, or building control take enforcement action etc...

I read on a similar thread that it is possible to use a job like this as the assessment for getting into a scheme in the first place.
My Sunday night will now be spent researching all the schemes and working out the most cost effective.

I believe one of the schemes charges a fee according to your annual turnover. If I make a loss, do they pay me?;)
Standby on the "optimistic" button...

good point about the schemes, its a chicken and egg thing, cant join without a notifiable job, but cant officially notify yourself without being a member.
if you join niceic then there is the potential to transfer that north of the border i assume? assuming you have the stuff to join then do the job, prepare the paperwork and date it a few days before the assessment visit, you have 30 days to notify in anycase. you would have to be a right dangerous cowboy to not pass the niceic assessment!

I think the only scheme that works in both Scotland and England is the NICEIC. I know most other contractors around me have an NIC badge on their vans along with Select.
Most of my work at the moment is domestic, although I wouldn't mind getting some commercial work.
Is there any advantage going for the Domestic Installer Scheme rather than the Approved Contractor Scheme?

apart from cost. the main issue is that to do a eicr with the niceic logo on you need to be niceic AC. the ac can also be useful when tendering for contracts.
Just to point out you dont need any logos on a EICR, it only has to satisfy the requirements of the model forms in the Regs

True. The test certificates I use just now have no logo.
Places like the council will demand I need to be a member of a scheme, so joining any should help finding jobs.

Here's a link someone posted previously, 'Electrician Competence Recognition', for LBC guidance. You can download the IET-BCA Guidance document apparently. Never tried it myself, but may be worth a look?

Electrician Competence Recognition - The IET - https://www.------.org/policy/collaboration/sa4e/index.cfm?

I have a possible job coming up where a neighbour of mine in Scotland is buying a property in England.
Its a flat, and he thinks it needs a full rewire. Until I've seen it, I cant say what all needs done.
Since starting self employed, I haven't joined a scheme yet as the costs are too much at the moment.
TBH I haven't a clue about the Part P except that its required in England.
A few questions, which may have been answered on previous threads so apologies if you're repeating yourselves.

Do I have to join a scheme to be able to use Part P? And will the Scottish Select scheme be allowed? (on the Scotland side, many places only accept Select or NICEIC, none of the others)

Who's responsibility is it to notify the council? Mine, or the homeowners.

Will it be included in any other building works he has to notify?

If there is no notification from either of us to the council, what can be the consequences? Its not a new build, but I am essentially replacing all the electrical system.

Can I get some serious responses and less anti-scots comments. At least until I get a few answers:D

Don't bother joining a scheme, just rewire the house and say it was like this when you bought it :p

Reply to Part P without joining a scheme? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net