Discuss Letting agents and part p certs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

quick question regarding letting agents.

In a nut shell we completed Eicr property had very old board no rcd no sealed light in bathroom etc anyhow we quoted and the work was excepted. Work completed Thursday and cert for eicr sent over to letting agency as they had new tenant moving in Monday. So 5pm yesterday I get a call from a really angry letting agency demanding the part p straight away as it’s my legal requirement to have it to him before someone moving in.

I tried to explain we do our part p certs at the weekend and it will emailed over to him Monday but oh no not good enough. He really got my back up telling me he won’t move the tenant in until he has it and that his own electrician has said he should get onto us as we are breaking the law etc but not supplying the building control certification. He is also demanding to see the invoices and receipts for the job which I said are none of his business and if he wants a copy of the invoice request it from the landlord as he paid not them.

all the electricians are working away this weekend and are not allowed their phones due to security so cannot ask them what to tell them so any advice would be appreciated. This group has always helped me out so just need to know what to say

thank you
Nicky

As far as I’m aware, the letting agent only asks for a satisfactory EICR to be done.
The part p part is then notified to the local council by you, not the agent?

what did you do that needed part p? Bathroom light would just be a replacement. Was it a full new board or new circuit somewhere?

I’m not fully up on part p as I am in Scotland and don’t require it.

It's nowt to do with you you pass the test cert to the landlord and he passes on to them., you are the they say piggy in the middle. I did a test last year when the land lord asked me to pdf to letting agent and it was unsatisfactory, they rang up saying what are those codes and can't understand them, thicko.

As far as I’m aware, the letting agent only asks for a satisfactory EICR to be done.
The part p part is then notified to the local council by you, not the agent?

what did you do that needed part p? Bathroom light would just be a replacement. Was it a full new board or new circuit somewhere?

I’m not fully up on part p as I am in Scotland and don’t require it.
We replaced the consumer unit, we will be notifying but he has said he needs it for Monday first thing as the tenant cannot legally move in without it he has had the Eicr so that the tenant can, seems the Other electrician is annoyed he did not get the work however he wanted £900 for a new board a bathroom light and change 2 socket fronts, greedy and angry by the looks of it. Probably the letting agent gets a cut

It's nowt to do with you you pass the test cert to the landlord and he passes on to them.
The letting agent wanted the bills and receipts, no chance told him none of his business as invoice was paid directly by the landlord, he was really aggressive that the part p was required for the tenant to move in and that I should know that and was trying to break the law. I told him we did the eicr straight away for them to move the tenant in and for now that’s what he needed.

the part p will be done at weekend and sent to the customer surely it’s for him to pass on to them if they want it. All other letting agencies and council work we have done have only been interested in the Eicr cert which they required for 1st April no one else even though sent were interested in what was done to get the property to pass the eicr.

He will get the part p and the way he is acting I would like to just delay it, I know I have time to record it with the Niceic

I detest letting agents. The ultimate social parasite. Make sure your/his client are CC'd in on any correspondence, as this is a great opportunity to make him look like a prize ---.

You (or your scheme more accurately) have 30 days to deliver the building regs cert. See 3.4 of the Part P approved doc here:

...and, not that it's YOUR problem, the landlord has 28 days to present the documentation on the remedial work . Here is the legislation, 3_(5)(b).

So tell him, seeing as he spoke so kindly to you when he wanted something doing so desperately in such a hurry, that you will ensure that you meet yours and his obligations by delivering the cert 27 days after the remedials being completed.

I detest letting agents. The ultimate social parasite. Make sure your/his client are CC'd in on any correspondence, as this is a great opportunity to make him look like a prize ---.

You (or your scheme more accurately) have 30 days to deliver the building regs cert. See 3.4 of the Part P approved doc here:

...and, not that it's YOUR problem, the landlord has 28 days to present the documentation on the remedial work . Here is the legislation, 3_(5)(b).

So tell him, seeing as he spoke so kindly to you when he wanted something doing so desperately in such a hurry, that you will ensure that you meet yours and his obligations by delivering the cert 27 days after the remedials being completed.
Thank you I have sent this to him as a little reminder and a weekend read, thank you so much.

It's nowt to do with you you pass the test cert to the landlord and he passes on to them., you are the they say piggy in the middle. I did a test last year when the land lord asked me to pdf to letting agent and it was unsatisfactory, they rang up saying what are those codes and can't understand them, thicko.
Well this letting agent said it’s a shame I know the laws and you don’t. Think he will have to wait the 30 days now oh well

Lack of preparation on the agents part doesn’t make it an emergency on yours......I don’t deal with estate agents, parasites the lot of em, tell him you will send all relevant paperwork to all relevant persons in the legally accepted time frames, and if any of that applies to him he’ll receive it in due course, I’d also say any further questions from him regarding the paperwork will be chargeable ?

Problem is,

the letting agent may well stop Tennant moving in because of incorrect knowledge
they will blame you, not themselves
the landlord then looses out, and it is then your job to educate the landlord or you have an unhappy customer blaming you.

a good estate agent is a rare thing, many are parasites that will lie and cheat to cover there own behind.

Problem is,

the letting agent may well stop Tennant moving in because of incorrect knowledge
they will blame you, not themselves
the landlord then looses out, and it is then your job to educate the landlord or you have an unhappy customer blaming you.

a good estate agent is a rare thing, many are parasites that will lie and cheat to cover there own behind.
Too true. I have replied to the letting agent reminding him of the 30 days and reiterating that what the landlord has paid me and receipts etc are none of his business and as we are acting on behalf on our client and not him any future questions or correspondence should come via them. I have also gently reminded them that as they had not actually informed the landlord of the requirements and change in lawnand that as they are ones taking the percentage of the rent each month perhaps they should turn their attentions to their own requirements and leave us to ours.

Not all letting agents and estate agents are parasites...just saying

However, so many have no qualifications and are not aware of the law

Those who do know their job properly can be excellent, but I accept they are in the minority
I was generalising @pirate and that is wrong I know, I know you are right.....it’s just the only ones I’ve ever met lie through they massive white teeth and genuinely believe looking like a love island donut is more important than actually knowing and or doing they jobs.....@James has hit the nail on the head...,the loser will be the tenant and it won’t be the agents fault!

I was generalising @pirate and that is wrong I know, I know you are right.....it’s just the only ones I’ve ever met lie through they massive white teeth and genuinely believe looking like a love island donut is more important than actually knowing and or doing they jobs.....@James has hit the nail on the head...,the loser will be the tenant and it won’t be the agents fault!
Incorrect

the looser will be everyone involved, except of course the agent who could climb out of a cess pit, bright white and smelling of roses!

Worthwhile pointing out, here..... even if you actioned the Part P submission this morning, it won't get actioned by the scheme until Monday at the very earliest and the relevant BC office won't file it for days.

Sounds like this agent is a total knob-jockey and probably in cahoots with the other electrician in just trying to make you look bad.

Worthwhile pointing out, here..... even if you actioned the Part P submission this morning, it won't get actioned by the scheme until Monday at the very earliest and the relevant BC office won't file it for days.

Sounds like this agent is a total knob-jockey and probably in cahoots with the other electrician in just trying to make you look bad.
He did say it was the other electrician who backed his view that I was breaking the law

Reply to Letting agents and part p certs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net