Discuss PAT Tester broken but i can use megger? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

How will you be measuring differential leakage and touch leakage?

But the PAT120 does offer a substitute leakage test, which can't be replicated using an MFT. I wouldn't claim to have completed a PAT without at least some type of leakage test. Maybe I'm old-fashioned.

I thought PAT testers were introduced so that semi-skilled guys could test appliances rather than using an electrician. The testers have a lot of nice extras and can make recording the results easier. But any decent electrician with a insulation and continuity tester plus a note book can test appliances.

I thought PAT testers were introduced so that semi-skilled guys could test appliances rather than using an electrician. The testers have a lot of nice extras and can make recording the results easier. But any decent electrician with a insulation and continuity tester plus a note book can test appliances.

Except for leakage tests as mentioned by Lucien.

Well, the only tests required on the certificate are continuity of the earth bond / CPC, Continuity of line and neutral (linked) and Insulation Resistance between all conductors. If you must, leakage current can be measured across the appliance insulation using the insulation tester. Touch current measurements are not at all clear in the code of practice and are unusual tests in normal circumstances anyway.

I'd been thinking about making an adapter a bit like that - but with an extra socket for an earth continuity lead and a switch. Idea being that the switch would take care of the different connections needed - so the MFT could stay connected, the extra lead connected to exposed conductive parts for Class I continuity & Class II IR test, and only the switch would need to be moved (plus the mode switch on the MFT).
Otherwise, yes an MFT can be used, it's just a bit of a faff having to reconfigure the leads all the time for the different tests.
My biggest issue would be with the 200mA continuity test. 25A will prove the cpc far more effectively (or nuke it if it's hanging on by a strand or two).
How many battery powered PA testers do that ? At my last job (in IT), the boss thought it might be a good idea to get a tester and offer it as a service to customers. My response was that I wasn't going to be the only person "qualified" to do it, and no-one else actually bothered. I borrowed it and used it for my own requirements more than it got used at work (I'd test stuff that came across my desk) ;) Anyway, the spec for it wasn't for much current - only something like 200mA IIRC.

I'd been thinking about making an adapter a bit like that - but with an extra socket for an earth continuity lead and a switch. Idea being that the switch would take care of the different connections needed - so the MFT could stay connected, the extra lead connected to exposed conductive parts for Class I continuity & Class II IR test, and only the switch would need to be moved (plus the mode switch on the MFT).
Otherwise, yes an MFT can be used, it's just a bit of a faff having to reconfigure the leads all the time for the different tests.

How many battery powered PA testers do that ? At my last job (in IT), the boss thought it might be a good idea to get a tester and offer it as a service to customers. My response was that I wasn't going to be the only person "qualified" to do it, and no-one else actually bothered. I borrowed it and used it for my own requirements more than it got used at work (I'd test stuff that came across my desk) ;) Anyway, the spec for it wasn't for much current - only something like 200mA IIRC.
If 200 mA is good enough for installation continuity testing, why not not for appliances?

If 200 mA is good enough for installation continuity testing, why not not for appliances?
The flex in an appliance would typically take more abuse than fixed wiring embedded in the walls or in a conduit/trunking to be fair. It's not really a like comparison. Although traditionally conduit joints would have been tested at these higher currents.

You don't need to be qualified to carry out ISITEE.

Technically no you don't need any qualifications. But you do need to be competent, and more importantly, you and your employer need some means of showing that.
In practice, the training (provided as part of the package with the tester) was a 20 minute DVD and a multi-choice test paper. But it does mean I have another "magic piece of paper" ;)

I have that magic piece of paper!
Microsoft Publisher, and i can get you one too!
My training actually consisted of a full day, hands- on, plus presentation, plus course manual. It's not exactly rocket science, I know.
The tester I use is a simple Pass/Fail, no bluetooth download, no fancy email reporting, but it can be used battery power or mains.
However, it is only used for landlord testing. Proper electricians like you lot will likely not be impressed!
ISITEE does sound itchy, though...but far preferable to Portable Appliance Testing testing...
but then, why is abbreviation such a long word?
Why doesn't the all-purpose glue stick to the tube?
Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?

Whatever, I just meant that I have no "qualifications", but I am deemed competent, and I actually believe I am competent to do this simple work. However, if anomalies show up, I seek advice, and don't just sticker everything. I do actually test, and do FVI, and as it is an occasional thing for me, I quite enjoy it. If I had to do it every day I would go mad...

And that's the thing - being competent. Understanding what the tester is doing and what the results mean.

The problem is when you test something and the tester says Pass, but it hasn't actually tested anything. Figure 8 mains cables come to mind.

That's a fair point, DPG!
However, if you have the right adaptors you can test many things...but if you don't know what the tester is doing, you can't be sure...
Recently I tested an office...tons of stuff, but mainly IT.
They had so many extension leads! The Belkin ones failed, time after time...even the non-surge protected ones, but the tester is designed to be that way...I won't bore you with the semantics because you will already know the position...but, oddly, I had never had a fail before on these type of leads. I contacted the tester manufacturer and got an immediate response, which was helpful to me. The client told me to bin them, so I am currently using them at my office-desk! They are absolutely fine!
For me, as an amateur, every day is a learning day. I learn more on here and looking at quality videos than many other so-called learning sources...and there are a couple of guys on here who have given me invaluable assistance on the quiet, so like a new GP, who can't possibly know everything, experience is key.

You can get figure 8 adaptors, but since the tester connects live and neutral together, and there is no earth, then what is the tester actually testing?

Rhetorical question by the way!

I see where you are going, DPG!
TBH, I ignore F8 leads in the main...they are either working, or short-circuited, which virtually never happens.
Haven't failed an IEC or kettle lead in ages...except for the ones from the big river that are rated 10A and can barely support 3A...and you can spot them right away just by picking them up and handling them.

Reply to PAT Tester broken but i can use megger? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock