Discuss PAT Tester broken but i can use megger? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I see where you are going, DPG!
TBH, I ignore F8 leads in the main...they are either working, or short-circuited, which virtually never happens.
Haven't failed an IEC or kettle lead in ages...except for the ones from the big river that are rated 10A and can barely support 3A...and you can spot them right away just by picking them up and handling them.
I actually failed an IEC lead on Monday. I found it not to have earth continuity through it.

It happens, for sure, Risteard. Oddly, it's quite rare, but it does happen...which suggests to me that testing them is worthwhile...how else would you know?
However, PA Testing should be outlawed, and ISITEE replace it...
just my opinion...
It should be accorded a proper place in tenancy and office safety.
OK, it's not full-blooded electrics, but it is still important.

I failed 8 x IEC320 leads last week. High EB measure prompted a closer look, cut the first one open, inner sheaths were non standard colours, the wire was ridiculously thin I believe copper coated aluminium, so thin I could easily snap sections of it by hand. The other 7 were identical.

I failed 8 x IEC320 leads last week. High EB measure prompted a closer look, cut the first one open, inner sheaths were non standard colours, the wire was ridiculously thin I believe copper coated aluminium, so thin I could easily snap sections of it by hand. The other 7 were identical.
Were there any BS numbers on the leads? Surely this should be a requirement for sale in the UK.

Still remember when everything from Japan was made from tin (cans) and laughingly called Jap Crap. Then they bought the old assembly line for Austin and using the engine and chassis components designed their Datsun Bluebird. Datsun became Nissan and with Honda,Toyota etc, no ones laughing now. Maybe Chinese will catch on, they are losing “Face” big time!

Was a time when fire brigade blamed any device plugged in most of the time.
Video recorders ,
Now we could be moving on from fridges ,to anything with a Chinesium cable .
(did have my doubts about plenty of Phone USB chargers-but have no incoming flex )

Reply to PAT Tester broken but i can use megger? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net