Search the forum,

Discuss pdf version of the regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have searched high and low on the internet for the new amendment in PDF, but I'm damned if I can find a copy anywhere.

Shame really, as I have the 18th unamended in PDF, and it's way, way more useful than the hard copy. Cheaper too, that and the OSG only cost me £1.49 from ebay 😆
You should re-list it for a £1

Be some memory to remember the whole lot!
You don't remember it word for word, though. You remember the principles, the general rules, then the sections and chapters. We all know that 701 is bathrooms, for example, and the majority of us read sections 1-3 only when incredibly bored or there's a specific reason.

It wouldn't work online but it would be interesting to put a random couple of teams of sparks together, pub quiz style, and have two rounds of 'what does reg 411.3.3 talk about?' type questions and then 'if we're talking about Ufer earthing, where would we check our thoughts?' and so on.

I reckon people would be surprised what they'd drag up from memory.

You don't remember it word for word, though. You remember the principles, the general rules, then the sections and chapters. We all know that 701 is bathrooms, for example, and the majority of us read sections 1-3 only when incredibly bored or there's a specific reason.

It wouldn't work online but it would be interesting to put a random couple of teams of sparks together, pub quiz style, and have two rounds of 'what does reg 411.3.3 talk about?' type questions and then 'if we're talking about Ufer earthing, where would we check our thoughts?' and so on.

I reckon people would be surprised what they'd drag up from memory.

Indeed. There would have to be beer involved though!

The NICEIC requirements do only state:

'has documentation and records appropriate to the range and scale of Domestic Electrical Installation Work undertaken which will include BS 7671* Requirements for Electrical Installations (IET Wiring Regulations)'

* Current edition including all amendments.

So if you could show it was an exact and correct copy they might accept it, but I wouldn't rely on it, since it is not a legitimately sourced document.

I got the online version this year and I've found it so much easier in terms of searching, etc. All my assessor wanted to see was that I had access to it, but I had the email showing subscription to it too.

Works nicely on tablet/phone for searching too, plus it gets updates when they are published, and allows access to older versions too.

The Bronze subscription gives you the OSG and GN1/GN3 too - not bad for £71 a year imo.

It is "apparently" possible to convert the online regs into a searchable pdf with the right software....so I'm told

Let us know how it goes.
I just can't believe that given the hundreds you fork out to join the scam, getting a tester calibrated, getting insurances etc. anyone would apparently risk all that by skimping on a proper copy of the regs....
There's a professionalism angle here too, I'd want to be 101% sure that the document I was basing safety decisions on was definitely legit and correct.
Each to their own, I guess.

I just can't believe that given the hundreds you fork out to join the scam, getting a tester calibrated, getting insurances etc. anyone would apparently risk all that by skimping on a proper copy of the regs....
There's a professionalism angle here too, I'd want to be 101% sure that the document I was basing safety decisions on was definitely legit and correct.
Each to their own, I guess.

Absolutely. I'd have no confidence in an electrician who turned up with a dodgy set of regs just to save £80.

Be interesting to see the reaction if you had one on borrow from a library. Assuming you could actually find a library these days, of course.

Be interesting to see the reaction if you had one on borrow from a library. Assuming you could actually find a library these days, of course.
The pdf of the blue book that was doing the rounds was from the Ceylon Electricity Board Library

Of course buying it from Amazon for the assessment, then returning it the day after, would be very naughty indeed....

It would be nice to actually see if there are any actual errors. There could be a bit of scare mongering going on.

Trouble is you'd never know. Could be something subtle in one of the tables. To my mind this is not a document you shouldn't take a risk with.

Last edited:
Trouble is you'd never know. Could be something subtle in one of the tables. To my mind this is not a document you shouldn't take a risk with.
The PDF of the blue regs I have is scanned. Obviously there are limits on resolution, but otherwise what you see and read is identical to the hard copy (which I also have).

It also has a hidden layer of text beneath each page image, which only becomes visible when you highlight text by click and drag. This must have been generated by some character recognition software, and for most of the time it is identical to the image text, but there is the occasional incorrect character, extra space, or character that simply isn't recognised, eg. the delta symbol.

When you use the search facility to search for a specific word, it searches the hidden text, so occasionally it fails to find something that it should have, as above, but most of the time it finds what you want. Also, it highlights the image, rather than than displaying the hidden text beneath, so you read it as it should be.

I use the pdf version all the time, it is so, so much better. The hard copy sits in a bag in my van and has probably been used half a dozen times at most.

The PDF of the blue regs I have is scanned. Obviously there are limits on resolution, but otherwise what you see and read is identical to the hard copy (which I also have).

It also has a hidden layer of text beneath each page image, which only becomes visible when you highlight text by click and drag. This must have been generated by some character recognition software, and for most of the time it is identical to the image text, but there is the occasional incorrect character, extra space, or character that simply isn't recognised, eg. the delta symbol.

When you use the search facility to search for a specific word, it searches the hidden text, so occasionally it fails to find something that it should have, as above, but most of the time it finds what you want. Also, it highlights the image, rather than than displaying the hidden text beneath, so you read it as it should be.

I use the pdf version all the time, it is so, so much better. The hard copy sits in a bag in my van and has probably been used half a dozen times at most.

That's the problem. It's ok if it is scanned as one image, but if all the text and tables have been OCR processed then that's where issues could occur. And someone could be using that incorrect info for years and would never know.

That's the problem. It's ok if it is scanned as one image, but if all the text and tables have been OCR processed then that's where issues could occur. And someone could be using that incorrect info for years and would never know.
The text and tables aren't processed, they are an image. The hidden layer of text is processed, but as above, you don't see that unless you select something by click and drag. I'll try to upload a photo so you can see what I mean.

Here's a table from the pdf. I've highlighted the word 'aluminium', which shows the normally hidden layer of text beneath:

bigbluebook.png

The text and tables aren't processed, they are an image. The hidden layer of text is processed, but as above, you don't see that unless you select something by click and drag. I'll try to upload a photo so you can see what I mean.

I know what you mean. But that may not be the case in the OPs version. There have been counterfeit copies with errors in before.

I must admit that when I get the regs book from work, I take mine apart and scan it, then OCR it, so that I can search for text.
It does make things easy for me.
No.... I don't pass it onto anyone.

Reply to pdf version of the regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net