Discuss Permitted Development in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dansk

-
Reaction score
Hi -

I may be out of touch with permitted development or this may be new news.

Ive just spoke with East Ridings County Council this morning about a PV job in Bridlington which is in a conservation area, they informed me it is PD wether its in a conservation area or not. This is going against my believes and what i have been taught from day one.

The gentleman resited a document (cant remember fully but this is what i manage to scribble down) Statatory Instrument Part 4, second page, sub title "installation of domestic microgeneration equipment" is permitted in a conservation area as long as its not higher than the highest thing around and its no more than 200mm of the roof.

Im hoping you dont all say "didint you know" because i always thought PV was NOT permitted development in a conservation area - but it seems it is according to this chap.

Anyone else know this?

the government portal suggests it projects no more than three metres from wall to wall, whereas my local planning officer believes the roof falls within the definition of the of the existing dwelling. So the roof can not project to point in excess of 3 metres from the rear wall of the original dwellinghouse.

Spamming - mod please delete.

Permitted development for solar panels in conservation areas in England went through a couple of versions and not everyone (even planning officers it seems sometimes) are up to date with the current status.

1. In April 2008 The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2008 came into force and this generally allowed solar panels to be installed as permitted development. But this excluded any installation on dwellings in conservation areas where panels were fitted to "walls and roof slopes" if they were "visible from a highway".

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2008

2. In October 2008 an amendment was made to this legislation that dropped the "roof slope" part of the exclusion.

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (No. 2) (England) Order 2008

So now it is permitted development to install solar panels on the roof slope of a dwelling in a conservation area even if it is visible from the road - but this is still subject to the other conditions that apply to solar panels and permitted development.

One extra thing to note with PD is that it is possible for a council to issue a variation that restricts permitted development in some specific locations - these are called Article 4 Directions. So you should still check with the local planning bods to make certain this is not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one - thank you, thats exactly what the guy said at the council. And ive always thought the other way and been put off when told its in a conservation area.

What a job.

Reply to Permitted Development in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net