Discuss Personal hardships... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
This isn't a thread of who has the worst circumstances its just about letting steam off a bit and getting a little bit personal... as I speak I've just spent several hours in A&E for those who don't know, my lady has M.E. and Endometriosis....

Now the traits and symtoms of M.E. can mimic many other issues hence its hard to diagnose but with very big changes in her symtoms over the last month she is now in hospital waiting for results of a CAT scan and on anti-virals for meningitis.

Just wondering with exception of the few I know are going through illness if many others have similar circumstances...

PS ... not after sympathy so no need for the sorry's etc just a genuine interest of forum members away from the electrical realm.

The issue at the moment I find and nothing to do with the front line doc's and nurses are they are great, it is that non physical problems has no funding or priority anymore due to funding and waiting time commitments, hospitals have thrown all their resources trying to meet goverment treatment times, unfortunately this hasn't covered what is classed as mental issues and M.E. has many non physical symptoms .... even her Endo' which is very physical was delayed 8months for an appointment because only Leeds had a unit local to us and money had to be agreed to transfer from Dewsbury to pay for it ....so yes agree front line personel one to one is excellent but the system is truely screwed now where a walk in casualty alcoholic gets preference to get him out than someone suspected of been highly contagious with meningitis.

Last edited:
I have a sister-in-law (sister of my late wife) that has MS but as far as i know, is in remission and being kept that way on on one of those hybrid drugs (inter-something or other)... But she still can't walk any great distance before needing to rest, and still not unknown for her leg to just give way without notice. She's dreading being confined to a wheelchair and being dependant on others later on...

So i have some idea what you are going through....

I have a sister-in-law (sister of my late wife) that has MS but as far as i know, is in remission and being kept that way on on one of those hybrid drugs (inter-something or other)... But she still can't walk any great distance before needing to rest, and still not unknown for her leg to just give way without notice. She's dreading being confined to a wheelchair and being dependant on others later on...

So i have some idea what you are going through....

Worked in local Kenmore Chesire homes on maintanence over the years which was founded for disability and housed many residents with different levels and aggresions of MS .. so can truely sympathise with your situation, have seen all the stages and glad to hear she may be in remission, its can be a hard condition even mild forms for anyone or family to have to adapt to.

You bugger, you've quoted me and I was just about to go to bed!

If you're not happy, complain, in a non aggressive way.
They really pull their fingers out if you do it right.
Unfortunately I can't really advise how, I leave it to others.

Realised your second thoughts and deleted my quote of your post in respect of your mind change .....

Having worked in the NHS for 20 years now, i think we can safely say its f*****. I seen in my hospital the money spent on 5 new theates. Hence i fail to see the point of this as there are still no more nurses or wards for these patients to go after they have surgery. Hence most the time theatre lists are cancelled through lack of beds. This is just one area. Waiting times for dental treatment is currently standing at between 6 but more likely 9 months. Thats just to see a consultant, if you then need treatment your looking at another 12 month wait.
Now i find that my gp surgery is becoming a super practice. Good you would think. Alas no. So no longer can i make an appointment to see my dr i cant even phone to speak to one. We are now referred to adavanced hcsw or nurse practtioner. Its absolutley ridiculous. And yes its the same all over im afraid .

From what i can make of it, far too much money is being wasted on ineffective top heavy administration that could be far better spent on front end treatment. Trouble with hospital administrators, they all create little empires for themselves, to cover the top ends arses. These wasters will continue climbing the ranks going from one authority to another insisting they are worth more than a top consultants salary.... If the government want to apply austerity, the first place to start is hospital administration, starting at the very top

Where my misses works they spent a fortune updating a load of single rooms and bathrooms, the got some more funding so they ripped out what had just been done and did it all again, slightly different.

nursing staff doing admin only, counted as nursing staff on the wards is the other gripe

The NHS has been on a downward spiral for decades and the powers that be think chucking more money at it is going to fix it, as a private business it would have gone bust years ago t
he smooth talkers have risen though their departments and built themselves little empires all trying to out do each other. Having worked as a contractor in various hospitals up and down the country for 20 years they are all the same don't what happened in the last 10 years as Igot out of NHS work but from what I hear it is no better.
Lost my dad back in 2009 following an operation that went wrong after he contracted an infection they didn't have the compassion to list the true cause of death instead putting it down to a heart attack as he had a heart condition. Had a few meetings with the matron after my dad died and found out what a toothless waste of time and salary she was had little idea of what was going on on the wards she was in control of, she worked 9 - 5 Monday to Friday and didn't see most of the staff under her she couldn't / wasn't allowed to vary her shifts to address this, when highlighting problems with the infection control procedures that had been observed by myself and other family members the look of shock on her face was quite surprising although she suggested that moving to the new hospital that was under construction would resolve this when asked how a new hospital would solve a problem that was down to staff not doing their job she didn't have an answer

The NHS does a good job most of the time but it let's a hell of a lot of people down when they most need it, money won't necessarily fix it and neither will poor overpaid management that have lost sight of what they are ment to be delivering

Reply to Personal hardships... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net