Search the forum,

Discuss Plasterers, who needs them? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I thought you were meant to fill the knock out boxes half full of plaster as well? :)

ugh I know what you mean
the last job i was on chasing down problems i found 4 boxes completely filled with plaster. spent quite a bit of time entertaining my apprentice with some very colourful language:cuss: :furious3: LOL.

That's when the lump hammer comes out liberally across the new plaster wall. Well you had to find your buried cables somehow.......

The plasterer on a job i'm doing at the moment came to price up last night at about 8pm, already up to a 12 hour day and he chirped up "not to question your workmanship pal but can you cut your cables back and tuck em into the back boxes so i can plaster them in.......

You can imagine my reply....

I don't understand why plasterers feel they have to do this, I certainly wouldn't employ one that did

i dont understand why we need to cut chases out deep enough to bury conduit for a house rewire ?

seems like alot of unnecessary work and mess when you can just chop back plaster and clip direct.

I hate the unnecessary work created when the plasterer trowels the cable and reduces the IR of it

i do mine about 30mm wide. thats a little bigger than my cold chisel lol.

clip down wall and job done (boss wont pay for conduit when we do houses, the work is just to keep us busy)

Surely it is the customer that is paying for the conduit or is you boss pulling a fast one the cost / time saving is probably negligible given that a conduit drop only needs a couple of clips or a snot or two of bonding to fix it compared to the effort to straighten and clip a couple of T&E's

Did a rewire for a relative a little while ago and very little chasing out was needed as most of the original wiring was in PVC conduit only needed chases where additional sockets were wanted put all the new cable in oval conduit

On a job a while back, had a building inspector pulled me up for not ccapping cables. wall was to be dry lined, dot&dab. asked him to read 7671 and come back with a reg. bloody hitler said it was their rules.

The other aspect is that customers are aware of what's available and what can be done , so most of them have seen capping or conduit of one form or another , I have been asked if I will be installing it most times when chasing walls out , usually there's some already in place on existing chases , so it doesn't look good when you install cables without this , I have gone down the route of round conduit as only my preference , because it makes it easier to replace cable , nearly every job I go to the customer wants to change things when the cables are in and this at least gives me a chance to pull in or remove as required

What about sockets within 350mm of corner lol Or does that apply onto new builds?

I tend to use conduit on all jobs on solid walls , wether it's new build or not , and even within the 150 mm of the corners , ps not sure where you get 350 mm from. LOL

On a job a while back, had a building inspector pulled me up for not ccapping cables. wall was to be dry lined, dot&dab. asked him to read 7671 and come back with a reg. bloody hitler said it was their rules.

I don't have a problem with their rules when they have made it clear when the job is priced what they want, the problem I do have is when they are being petty for being petty's sake some of these inspectors get a bee in their bonnet and make the rules up as they go along just to be a pain in the derrière

no idea. fell out with customer when he supplied 36 downlights and wanted to pay me £5 each to 2nd fix. i'd been paid for 1st fix, so i walked.

Last edited:
last jod I did I stripped all the cables ready and linked them up with Wago's but left them out of the DB,a large piece of cardboard pinned to wall with "WARNING ALL CABLES ENERGISED" and not a millimetre of plaster in any of my boxes when they'd plastered.

I don't understand why plasterers feel they have to do this, I certainly wouldn't employ one that did

I hate the unnecessary work created when the plasterer trowels the cable and reduces the IR of it

Surely it is the customer that is paying for the conduit or is you boss pulling a fast one the cost / time saving is probably negligible given that a conduit drop only needs a couple of clips or a snot or two of bonding to fix it compared to the effort to straighten and clip a couple of T&E's

Did a rewire for a relative a little while ago and very little chasing out was needed as most of the original wiring was in PVC conduit only needed chases where additional sockets were wanted put all the new cable in oval conduit
the only rewires we do are for clients on the cheap and to keep us busy, ive been boarding,mixing, second fixing etc recently and will probably have to paint the ******* soon as well.

Reply to Plasterers, who needs them? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock