Discuss Plasterers, who needs them? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
as title. a bit od splodging in the gunge, done by yours truly:

DSC_0088.jpgDSC_0090.jpgDSC_0091.jpg

Good job.

I have just finished filling the chases at my house. I used hard wall as a backing coat and a product called "easy fill" to finish. The "easy fill" sands down so easy and leaves a perfect finish. Now they are painted they are impossible to see.

With a little bit of practice and a bit more alcohol to steady your hand it could be almost perfect! :)

never be as smooth as you, though , geordie. that's as near to a compliment as i'm ever likely to get from you. :sorcerer:

Easy fill is a good send. I'm just doing up our house and done a load of patching and plastering and that easy fill stuff has helped alot. I pulled off a load of wood chip and used it to fill alot of old trowel marks.

don't go for the easy-fill, one coat , or any of that crap. the work in the pics was all done using bonding plaster. it's a damn site cheaper than the alternatives.

I use multi finish for my plastering, but that easyfill is awesome for very fine work and its sandable and paintable in about 90 minutes!

The plasterer on a job i'm doing at the moment came to price up last night at about 8pm, already up to a 12 hour day and he chirped up "not to question your workmanship pal but can you cut your cables back and tuck em into the back boxes so i can plaster them in.......

You can imagine my reply....

The plasterer on a job i'm doing at the moment came to price up last night at about 8pm, already up to a 12 hour day and he chirped up "not to question your workmanship pal but can you cut your cables back and tuck em into the back boxes so i can plaster them in.......

my workmate is very loud and can be anoying.

anyway the plasterer skimed the boxes over a couple mm lol

Like it,Tel,nice multi-tasking....but you just know,somewhere,on a plastering forum,a confident spread has just posted "Electricians,who needs them?"...followed by some pics of a five-bird-roast lollipop ring extravaganza :conehead:

haha. reminds me. once did a job. was 6 months between 1st and 2nd fix, due to customer being over budget and put the job on hold for a while. we 2nd fixed aroiund 12 sockets on a RFC, then came to testing, all conductors had no r1,rN,r2. open circuit. after about a half hour checking every point, i suddenly recalled that there should be a socket near one corner of the living room. a quick scan with the bosch metal/cable detector found the missing socket box, plastered in and wallpapered over. hammer and scutch--- there's the back box with the 2 x 2.5mm in. banged in a socket. welcome home end-end resistance.

Good job.

I have just finished filling the chases at my house. I used hard wall as a backing coat and a product called "easy fill" to finish. The "easy fill" sands down so easy and leaves a perfect finish. Now they are painted they are impossible to see.

That's EXACTLY how I do it! I don't even need to fix the cables into the chase, the hard wall holds in in there. AWESOME method.

is that the faint reflection of white pvc capping beneath that plaster coat ?

if it is , i suggest you exit now before i rip the --- out of this thread.........

;-)

yes, it is, biff. the plaster is very thin in places and the bricks have destroyed 2 diamond angle grinder blades. the walls are being papered anyway. so rip away.

What's the problem with plastic capping ?

Personally I'd use oval conduit in chases as they only have to be half as wide then

have used tube where possible, but in some places the plaster is so thin that the clips would have been proud.

I use a metabo chasing machine that cuts a chase 25mm wide and 25 mm deep , then remove the middle with a chisel in the multi drill , then install cables in 20mm round conduit with conduit just into the 20mm holes in metal boxes , plaster with one coat plaster and reskim and smooth of with trowel and water spray , , this leaves the conduit 5mm below surface , when I'm finished its ready for decoration ...

I find that anything less than 5mm may cause the plaster to crack if too thin in the future..

I use a metabo chasing machine that cuts a chase 25mm wide and 25 mm deep , then remove the middle with a chisel in the multi drill , then install cables in 20mm round conduit with conduit just into the 20mm holes in metal boxes , plaster with one coat plaster and reskim and smooth of with trowel and water spray , , this leaves the conduit 5mm below surface , when I'm finished its ready for decoration ...

I find that anything less than 5mm may cause the plaster to crack if too thin in the future..

ideal method when you can do it. not recommended for a lived in house though. enough dust to fill a skip.

ideal method when you can do it. not recommended for a lived in house though. enough dust to fill a skip.

I do this in any house , I also attach a henry vac to the spout on the chase , the dust you get is when using the multi drill , but then you would get that anyway , still its a lot easier and cleaner than other ways I have tried , The chase machine has a spring loaded hood that sits flat on the wall so forms a good seal for the vacuum to work so its really clean . along with dust sheets as normal of course ...

I am doing a job at the moment so will post some pics later next week..

i dont understand why we need to cut chases out deep enough to bury conduit for a house rewire ?

seems like alot of unnecessary work and mess when you can just chop back plaster and clip direct.

i dont understand why we need to cut chases out deep enough to bury conduit for a house rewire ?

seems like alot of unnecessary work and mess when you can just chop back plaster and clip direct.
i do mine about 30mm wide. thats a little bigger than my cold chisel lol.

clip down wall and job done (boss wont pay for conduit when we do houses, the work is just to keep us busy)

Because I was taught to use oval conduit in chases in existing walls by my mentor when I was an apprentice, and until I hear of a good reason not to I will carry on doing it this way.

I'm not condemning anyone who does it another way, or saying that my way is best, it's just the way I do things.

the main reason i use tube or capping is to facilitate rewiring of a drop if some muppet drills or nails it.

the main reason i use tube or capping is to facilitate rewiring of a drop if some muppet drills or nails it.

and how many times in say , the last 5 years , have you been called back to a domestic job you've rewired where a cable that is within the permitted zones , has been drilled through ?

im gonna guess its not often enough to justify automatically installing conduit on every job you do.........

and how many times in say , the last 5 years , have you been called back to a domestic job you've rewired where a cable that is within the permitted zones , has been drilled through ?

im gonna guess its not often enough to justify automatically installing conduit on every job you do.........
my stepdad is an engineer but a thick one.

he starts drilling stud wall for a picture, he hits something solid so he pushes on harder till he has drilled through it (socket on other side of stud wall)

how he missed the cable i don't know

I thought you were meant to fill the knock out boxes half full of plaster as well? :)

ugh I know what you mean
the last job i was on chasing down problems i found 4 boxes completely filled with plaster. spent quite a bit of time entertaining my apprentice with some very colourful language:cuss: :furious3: LOL.

I thought you were meant to fill the knock out boxes half full of plaster as well? :)

ugh I know what you mean
the last job i was on chasing down problems i found 4 boxes completely filled with plaster. spent quite a bit of time entertaining my apprentice with some very colourful language:cuss: :furious3: LOL.

That's when the lump hammer comes out liberally across the new plaster wall. Well you had to find your buried cables somehow.......

I don't understand why plasterers feel they have to do this, I certainly wouldn't employ one that did

I hate the unnecessary work created when the plasterer trowels the cable and reduces the IR of it

i do mine about 30mm wide. thats a little bigger than my cold chisel lol.

clip down wall and job done (boss wont pay for conduit when we do houses, the work is just to keep us busy)

Surely it is the customer that is paying for the conduit or is you boss pulling a fast one the cost / time saving is probably negligible given that a conduit drop only needs a couple of clips or a snot or two of bonding to fix it compared to the effort to straighten and clip a couple of T&E's

Did a rewire for a relative a little while ago and very little chasing out was needed as most of the original wiring was in PVC conduit only needed chases where additional sockets were wanted put all the new cable in oval conduit

On a job a while back, had a building inspector pulled me up for not ccapping cables. wall was to be dry lined, dot&dab. asked him to read 7671 and come back with a reg. bloody hitler said it was their rules.

The other aspect is that customers are aware of what's available and what can be done , so most of them have seen capping or conduit of one form or another , I have been asked if I will be installing it most times when chasing walls out , usually there's some already in place on existing chases , so it doesn't look good when you install cables without this , I have gone down the route of round conduit as only my preference , because it makes it easier to replace cable , nearly every job I go to the customer wants to change things when the cables are in and this at least gives me a chance to pull in or remove as required

Reply to Plasterers, who needs them? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net