Discuss Pre-wired garden offices - advice needed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

benefic

I've been asked to connect up a new prefabricated garden office for a customer. I've run an SWA supply out from the house prior to where the shed(whoops - office!) is going. So far so good. I return after the office has been built to connect up and test every thing. the shed company pre -wire it, so it should just be a case fit the small CU, put the socket fronts on and connect the lights. I first noticed a telephone cable that ran from a phone socket up to the hole for the CU - no grade seperation there! Good job the customer didn't want to use the phone point. My big problem is the use of polystyrene sheet insulation. The shed people have run their pvc 2.5mm 3 core flex up against the insulation. This will damage the cable eventually. I am expected to sign this wiring off and issue a certificate. How soon does pvc degrade when next to polystyrene? Will the cable outlast the shed? I don't really want to get into a 3 way slanging match between me the customer and the shed firm, but don't think I can sign this off. The company is quite big and presumably they have had lots of other people sign off their work. Have I missed something or does nobody else look behind the backing boxes?

Modern polystyrene does not affect PVC cables as it once used to do by leaching the plasticiser out of the cable. So, ....no degradation of cables!! You'll also find that what looks like flex isn't your normal flex that you connect to appliances, forget the name of this stuff, but it's used extensively by our European friends...

Are you sure about modern polystyrene, or are you thinking of celotex and kingspan type insulation? This was the pure white stuff, definitely not celotex etc. The on-site guide still warns about polystyrene. I've also found some 2.5 T&E (just ordinary Prysmian) used for the lighting circuit.

Are you sure about modern polystyrene, or are you thinking of celotex and kingspan type insulation? This was the pure white stuff, definitely not celotex etc. The on-site guide still warns about polystyrene. I've also found some 2.5 T&E (just ordinary Prysmian) used for the lighting circuit.

Yes i'm sure!! They changed the chemical make-up of the stuff, ...and that was a good few years ago. You still get the warnings because there is still an awful lot of the old stuff still out there in lofts etc...

If your not sure or unconvinced, contact the manufacturer of these prefabricated sheds. Then ask why are they using 2.5mm T&E for their lighting circuits ...lol!!

Reply to Pre-wired garden offices - advice needed in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net