Discuss Pricing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm making steps to get back on the road after being made redundant. Cheers Covid 19
I've priced a job up and the guy says I'm far too expensive.
I've done a fair bit of research so I'm fairly certain I'm at least competitive, just wondered how much people would charge as I've been out of the game for 10 years

Kitchen rewire
New ring circuit
7 double sockets
3 fused spur drops for appliances
2 x cooker circuits
12 downlighters
1 lighting point and switch for wall light
Disconnect old ring and make safe with junction boxes
Add 2 x new mbcs to existing consumer unit

Fair amount of chasing to be done

All works to be inspected, tested and part p notified which I'm going to have to pay a sparks for.

Thanks in advance for the replys

I quoted £1250 all in, based in the South East

I've approached building control and they want huge sums of money

For a consumer unit £350, they have nothing set up and just sub it out themselves
Ouch that’s tough! Have a look, somewhere on here is flow chart type thing that the LBC should follow for notifications. You should use it to challenge them.

Not too fussed about paying the money if that's what it takes, not happy about it but that's a totally new debate that one
If someone could help me with the pricing that's going to be more beneficial for me, cheers

Ouch that’s tough! Have a look, somewhere on here is flow chart type thing that the LBC should follow for notifications. You should use it to challenge them.
I was in a Scheme up until two years ago. Converting my garage, so some notifiable works. Asked my LBC, who asked me to send them my last assessment. They got back to me and said I would need a Scheme registered sparks, to provide me an EICR!

I think for most LBC’s, it’s in the too difficult box.

@Craighrvy get yourself in a Scheme, if you’re going to do domestic works.

I was in a Scheme up until two years ago. Converting my garage, so some notifiable works. Asked my LBC, who asked me to send them my last assessment. They got back to me and said I would need a Scheme registered sparks, to provide me an EICR!

@Craighrvy get yourself in a Scheme, if you’re going to do domestic works.

That's the plan mate, but I need to present some work to them for my assessment, stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.
[automerge]1595573000[/automerge]
Doesn't sound expensive to me. Some customers are too cheap. If they're haggling now its probably not a job you'd want anyway?

Thanks mate and your right, these types of customers are the worst for paying out at the end of the job. Two brand new motors on the driveway and he wants to scrimp on the electrics in his house! My main concern was if my prices are competitive I don't want to price myself out at this early stage. Thanks for the reply
[automerge]1595573129[/automerge]
Your price seems spot on to me

Thanks for the reply pal

I've been scratching my head since he said I was "far too expensive". I had a good idea it wasn't
Its good to know I haven't lost my touch when it comes to pricing!
[automerge]1595573214[/automerge]
I get it to £1320 and that's North West England.

Thanks for the reply Bob

Glad to hear I'm in the right ball park ?
[automerge]1595573252[/automerge]
I think you price is reasonable.

Thanks for confirming ?

Last edited:
That's the plan mate, but I need to present some work to them for my assessment, stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.
Typical issue; apply to Scheme do a couple of jobs (Scheme might specify what type of notifiable works e.g. CU change) get assessed, then retrospectively apply notification when enrolled with Scheme.

LABC want an easy life, and I don’t blame them. If a registered spark does a job and it’s notified through their scheme then LABC makes zero effort. They don’t even know the work is taking place until they get the (electronic) notification from NAPIT, NICEIC, etc. Unless it’s a large building project with other LABC involvement.

If you raise a building notice they will charge a lump as they have now a large paperwork issue. They can/may/are obliged to visit the site to track and monitor progress and are involved in the final test and sign off by a properly authorised and competent person.
That’s why they make it £300ish.

As Midwest said, joining a CPS is your must do route if domestic sparking is your ambition. You haven’t said what quals, if any, that you have. You can use jobs, like this, as your assessment piece.

I think it's a very competitive price. Probably a good price to start with if you want to be certain of getting the work. I would have been £200-£400 more than your quote based roughly on £50-£60 p/point.

LABC want an easy life, and I don’t blame them. If a registered spark does a job and it’s notified through their scheme then LABC makes zero effort. They don’t even know the work is taking place until they get the (electronic) notification from NAPIT, NICEIC, etc. Unless it’s a large building project with other LABC involvement.

If you raise a building notice they will charge a lump as they have now a large paperwork issue. They can/may/are obliged to visit the site to track and monitor progress and are involved in the final test and sign off by a properly authorised and competent person.
That’s why they make it £300ish.

As Midwest said, joining a CPS is your must do route if domestic sparking is your ambition. You haven’t said what quals, if any, that you have. You can use jobs, like this, as your assessment piece.

I am joining NICEIC, but I need to present some work to them which needs to be notified.
I have NVQ Level 3 and all the various elements to achieve that. C & G 2391 inspection and testing, 18th Edition exam booked in for next month as I'm currently on 17th. I even have C Course, which I wish I never wasted two years of my life doing because no-one seems to recognise that qualification these days. Been out of the trade on paye for some time and haven't need to keep my qualifications up to date, until now

Someone else on here can advise you on how to handle notifications for work done while you are joining a CPS.

There was a discussion about CPS on here recently, I can’t find the thread at the moment, but someone did post this Trustpilot survey as a general comment on NICEIC.

Note that other schemes are also available.

EDIT. There is a lot of specific information and advice on this forum here

Last edited:
Someone else on here can advise you on how to handle notifications for work done while you are joining a CPS.

There was a discussion about CPS on here recently, I can’t find the thread at the moment, but someone did post this Trustpilot survey as a general comment on NICEIC.

Note that other schemes are also available.

EDIT. There is a lot of specific information and advice on this forum here

Eek , thats not very good reading.

These bodies do seem to be on a license to print money , for what seems very little , but what choice do sparkys have if they want to work legitimately. This was one of the factors of me closing my business previously.

I was also looking at Elecsa , but they seem to just be a sister company of NICEIC , even the enquiry phone number puts you through to the same line.

I was previously with NAPIT , but I have phoned them twice and no one has bothered to return my initial enquiry calls. I gave up after 3 attempts. My thought were if this is how they operate , what chance do I have of them offering assistance if I need it in the future

I was with Elecsa, did only domestic work. Apart from the subject of the fee, they were quite good in terms of technical assistance and response to other queries.

Guess COVID issue might have something to do with lack of response currently.

Reply to Pricing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net