Discuss Quotes etc in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

When you give a quote - how do you make money? I was asked to quote for some work, I traveled to the job spoke to the person traveled back home, then put a price together all in all about 2hrs.

They didn't go for the price - which is unfortunate but that's the price you pay (or in their case not!!), but if I quoted 4 jobs this way thats nearly a days work wasted. How do you balance it out? Do you put a little extra on the next persons job and the next or is it swallow not spit?

Many thanks

Welcome to working for yourself. Try explaining that to a customer. You have to charge to include wasted time. As Ive said before I do not earn my hourly charge.

It is only a free quote if the customer does not have the work done. I try and put the cost of the visit in with my price quoted but half the time you don't get the job anyway. Lifes a bitch!!

It's part of quoting for work. I try to call into survey jobs when I'm in the area to minimise fuel costs. I also try to gauge the level of interest before running all over the place quoting. It's something you pick up over the years!! Good luck....

A few ways around this but i dont think this is the place to discuss as its open to public view, and discussing pricing, costs etc would be best in the Electricians Arms, just look at the requirements for joining and see if you meet them, basically if you run your own business you will have no trouble getting accepted.... then post same question in The Electricians Arms and we can talk more frankly as its locked from public viewing.

Ah the joys of self employment - put these situations down to experience.

I find giving the person an indication of the price, when I'm looking at them, gives me a clue as to whether they are serious and can afford it!

i remember when i first started out and i had adverts in the local papers and nearly all the calls i got were like...'i need you to give me a quote to put one light up'....or...'i need a price to move a single socket over 2 inches as im having a wardrobe fitted'
i was keen as mustard too and was driving round all over the show to quote for these pathetic jobs that didnt even cover my petrol money a lot of the time....but i suppose that what you gottat got through to build up your customer base and get your name about!

If its small jobs, just quote over the phone and warn them about things like RCD, bonding etc (get them to look at the CU and describe it to you over the phone) Big jobs, go look at em. Its never been a problem for me because all my work is word of mouth so im usually already in the door before I give em the quote.
I'd say about 5% of the work I do, I have to quote against someone for, and I rarly lose one. I aim to make £300+ a day on quoted work which covers the time spent running around
Good marketing gets you lots of phone calls.
A good reputation gets you lots of work.

Good thinking..
g.gif

Reply to Quotes etc in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net