Discuss RCBOs vs RCDs with MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cost. Also the RCCB will switch the neutral pole whereas the RCBO may well be single pole and leave a neutral/earth fault in situ. Not good if there is an upstream RCD.

Cost. Also the RCCB will switch the neutral pole whereas the RCBO may well be single pole and leave a neutral/earth fault in situ. Not good if there is an upstream RCD.

Did you mean 'not good if there is not an upstream RCD ' ?

If there is an upstream RCD then that will clear the fault and the SP RCBO will not be so much of a problem.

Think I know what OP means....I think RCBO's is the way forward nower days as the cost of RCBO's is now far cheaper than it used to be, making more viable for the general public to afford. You can get DP RCBO's which under fault conditions will open both poles.

In a domestic set up ie average (if there is one) house is there any reason you wouldn't use a RCBO but a MCB and a RCD?
I can't think one
Fred
RCBOs single and not double pole (majority)
RCBOs expensive compaired to a split dual RCD board fully loaded
RCBOs take too much room up in average domestic boards, not curves though
RCBOs have horrible white fly leads which look like a ball of wall in the boards and make the boards harder to look neat
RCBOs have horrible long neutral leads which look like a ball of wall in the boards and make the boards harder to look neat.
RCBOs are better for individual circuits rather than an RCD covering 5 breakers in a split due to nusience tripping

How many more examples would you like?

RCBOs have horrible white fly leads which look like a ball of wall in the boards and make the boards harder to look neat
RCBOs have horrible long neutral leads which look like a ball of wall in the boards and make the boards harder to look neat.
RCBOs are better for individual circuits rather than an RCD covering 5 breakers in a split due to nusience tripping

RCBO's a far better way to go with an older installation and/or a poorly extended property!

Are you a fan of RCBO's? lol

Can you specify the type of RCBO with regards to the number of poles it is switching as that will affect the answer?

Short answer is no. It was a decision I'm in the throes of making as to whether to use a couple of RCDs and MCBs or all RCBOs
The circuitry as I said ain't nufink fancy.
House ring man
kitchen ring main
lights
Water heater
Cooker
5 storage heaters on their own Ccts (TBD)
Washing machine
Freezer
Garage
Phred

Hi,

Yes, cost is a problem. I have just bought for my own place a Schneider board with DP RCBO's from a company in the UK ( no advertising here, but most will know who I mean ). No flying leads Neutral/ Earth, plenty of wiring space. Not used one before, so this is my first use of the product. RCBO's are £13.00 ea so not expensive when compared to other makes of SP RCBO's. It all depends what the customer is willing to pay, all you can do is give them options and let them decide.

Regards.

Reply to RCBOs vs RCDs with MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net