SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Replacing a motion sensor light switch with five terminals?? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi, hoping someone can help with this. I have a bathroom light switch that's a ceiling mounted motion sensor. It's malfunctioning so I bought a replacement, but I've hit a snag.
The existing switch has five terminals, all of which have wires going into them (see photo): green&yellow, grey, brown, then a black cable that links two terminals together, then another black cable.
The replacement motion sensor light switch I bought only has 3 terminals (and I can't find a five terminal one for sale).
Can anyone help?
Thanks! IMG_20190329_135306.jpg

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Can you take a close-up pic of the terminals and just above them. Looks like they have idents on them but they are out of focus.
Do you know that make/model of the existing sensor?

Last edited:
I would assume the brown will be the permanent live, if so, fit that to the outside live in, the black I assume is neutral (if so should be sleeved or taped blue and put in your middle connection) that would leave the grey as your switched live which should have a small sleeve of brown put on before putting into your 3rd connection. Your green/yellow goes into the stand alone earth terminal.

I would assume the brown will be the permanent live, if so, fit that to the outside live in, the black I assume is neutral (if so should be sleeved or taped blue and put in your middle connection) that would leave the grey as your switched live which should have a small sleeve of brown put on before putting into your 3rd connection. Your green/yellow goes into the stand alone earth terminal.
Never make assumptions that black would appear to be in an L terminal. As @Spoon says we need a better pic of the terminals.

SparkyChick

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Looking at that picture I would say grey is actually the neutral and the black is the switched live return. The switch in the picture is probably a no volts contact so the short black provides the line input to the switch

I've fitted a few of these recently, can't remember the brand, as @SparkyChick says the grey is neutral, brown is permanent live, and black is switched live. The short black is a link over to volt free contacts.
There should be a cable clamp fitted ti the visible holes at the top of the picture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all your help!
It is indeed a Timeguard, thanks for identifying it.
I can order a replacement and fit it. But when you say it's poorly installed, can you be more specific please?

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Replacing a motion sensor light switch with five terminals?? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom