Discuss Replacing and Oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So a thought. customer wants a new oven (electric) replaced and hob (electric) replaced. Has No rcd board, circuit has 6mm T&E, and cooker switch is on back wall right behind hob. Worse place you could ever have one.

Question. By just replacing the hob and oven for new ones, would it be a. requirement to Upgrade to RCD and b. relocate the switch.

Current Circuit is fine and tested although on a old wylex BS3036.

I myself, if circuit is ok and im not making alterations would of consider it ok to replace oven and hob as long as they are within the max load for cable/breaker. and this would not be notifiable. Although the recommendation would be to relocate switch and upgrade RCD. which would then be a nofiable job.

thoughts>?

think you have answered your own question. i would certailny stress the position of the cooker switch be altered as an advisory to the customer. but if you think it's in danger of damage from heat, then either make them pay to move it, or walk away.

Yeah this is the hit. the switch location for sure would be a threat in future. But as usual people wanting the chirpy chirpy cheep cheep way.

I can understand their frustration, as they just want put their new bits in , but really looks like new switch, new Board, notify. price has just gave them a big headache. as you say Tele you just gotta walk aye if they want the bish bosh dont look at switch.

i am finding people becoming more and more crushed under the pressure they face to deal with things the right way. they just cannot afford it.

but they can afford to replace a working oven/hob at several hundred quid, just because it looks newer/bigger/better

but they can afford to replace a working oven/hob at several hundred quid, just because it looks newer/bigger/better
same old thing Tel....any sort of money is well spent if its on impressing neighbours and all the z list wannabe socialites that will be coming round to admire it....but when it comes to safety/compliance etc its a case of "well its worked ok so far".....probably so has the old cooker....get your house in order first i`d say.....

I do actually agree with all the above, BUT this client is actually a very under paid Teacher who has a very modest if not shabby flat. She is skint its fair to say. But again innocent ones like this who actually do a decent job is left to deal with bills she just cannot afford. While Elite of this world cream it.

Anyway we wont go there..lol

newly qualified teachers starting pay is £21,000+ that ain't exactly peanuts.

I can just see Joe down the pub counting the readies. Mr. and Mrs. Kitchen are quite happy they've got rid of that robbing electrician.

This isn't a dig at anyone other than the muppets that draw up the regs, how does moving a switch alter a circuit to the extent it requires a new CU.

There's no wonder Joe is doing so well. I'm not condoning shoddy work, but ££££'s on a job that Mr. and Mrs. Kitchen can see no benifit from isn't helping this trade.

View attachment 12156

I do actually agree with all the above, BUT this client is actually a very under paid Teacher who has a very modest if not shabby flat. She is skint its fair to say. But again innocent ones like this who actually do a decent job is left to deal with bills she just cannot afford. While Elite of this world cream it.

Anyway we wont go there..lol
well i reckon that most teachers decide to go round looking shabby and smelling fusty because its a bit mysterious, it creates the illusion of hours spent in dry, dusty librarys filling ones mind with endless books n stuff....its an image imposed on ones self by choice......

well i reckon that most teachers decide to go round looking shabby and smelling fusty because its a bit mysterious, it creates the illusion of hours spent in dry, dusty librarys filling ones mind with endless books n stuff....its an image imposed on ones self by choice......

ive done jobs in teachers houses some starting out dont have alot,and some have pictures everywhere of them in different countrys.
but most people starting out dont have alot anyway it must be the word TEACHER that they are hard done to but they dont say they get paid for all the time they have off too school holidays etc dont be fooled they have money to pay for electrical work

well i reckon that Tony decide to go round looking shabby and smelling fusty because its a bit mysterious, it creates the illusion of hours spent in dry, dusty librarys filling his mind with endless books n stuff....its an image imposed on my self by choice......

Sorry Glenn!

Tony shuffles off in to his garret for the night.

And smelly of pertuly oil as well .

LOL choice this is very true

Reply to Replacing and Oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net