Discuss Reversing the direction of an electric motor !? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tynan

Hi there electrical folk ! :bucktooth:

I have another fairly basic question (basic if you know the answer that is).

I have just dug out and stuck together an electric kids scooter (12V battery / 18Ah / 13 mph) that was in the shed for the best part of a decade.

I managed to clean it up, strip it apart and get it going, all good and well I thought, it's working, so I took it apart again to clean it up (it was in a bad shape / rust / cob webs / caked on crap etc) and then stuck it all back together again.

But . . . . in my zeal to clean it up I opened the electrical motor, took it apart to inspect it and then put it back together . . . but from what I can work out I put the big collar of magnets back in back to front, so now when I press 'go' the scooter wants to scoot backwards.

So . . . taking the scooter apart to get to the motor is a nightmare and taking the motor apart is an even bigger nightmare (it nearly had my fingers off when I was reassembling the magnets!!) . . . . I thought of flipping the motor and the rear wheel but I can't do that due to the way the rear hub brake is mounted on the frame . . . so I was wondering would simply flipping the black and red power leads that run into the motor change the direction it spins in . . ?

The motor is a sealed unit running off a large 12V battery and just has the two wires going into it (red and black).

Cheers for any input / ideas / expertise !!

Lee

Swop the leads round.
If you do it at the battery, you will probably also have to swop the charging leads round as well.

Cheers spinlondon - and very good point about the charging leads !!! (that might have turned ugly, I'd not considered that !!).

Before I do anything, I am going to post a picture of the power set up / leads, so people can take a look at how it's wired up . . .

No photo, but here's the basic set up:

I'm going to swap just the output from the PCB going to the motor . . . . the charger routes into the PCB and then to the battery so I'm leaving that as it is . . should that be ok ?

Anyone got anything to say before I swap the wires - or do you think it's all going to be good.

(If anyone hears a loud bang, a scream and the sound of smouldering flesh coming from North London you'll know what happened).

2v16jav.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It worked !!

Nothing exploded and I didn't get fried, the scooter now goes forward rather than backwards !!!

Cheers for all the help !!

: )

think he's swapped just the motor leads, so the charger won't be affected.

Reply to Reversing the direction of an electric motor !? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net