Discuss School testing. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aaelectric

Hi all was wondering how much you would test when doing a five years inspection on the school as there is around 100 circuits would you test all of them or 30% of each fuse board also what about fire alarm & sercurity. Would you test thesecircuits. Would you test all sub mains and insulation test all circuits?
thanks

Could you imagine if a child found the defect than was not on your report...

Can understand the point you are trying to make but there may be mitigating circumstances as to why the client or the contractor may want to limit the extent of the inspection and test.
Experience and walking round with your eyes open during the inspection may give rise to extending / changing the extent and limitations agreed because of visual observations made

Can understand the point you are trying to make but there may be mitigating circumstances as to why the client or the contractor may want to limit the extent of the inspection and test.
Experience and walking round with your eyes open during the inspection may give rise to extending / changing the extent and limitations agreed because of visual observations made

good post. it's not all pie eating in wigan then?

I don't know many schools that would not want 100% tested, (but there may be).
The point I'm making is don't cut corners with testing especially in schools, to many drive-by-testers.

There's nothing wrong with a good pie and mushy peas, did a fire alarm course at Ctec in Wigan and at lunch they served the local cuisine

Anyway I'm an exiled scouser

great. we can gang up on geordie.

In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with Regulation 415.1 shall be provided for socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20 A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use.

Pretty good description for a school I think.

its like a question from the 2391, but people seem to think there are hard and fast rules for different premises.

Who is requesting it? have they specified extent? are there any other interested parties? insurers? as its a school ofsted? local authority?

I don't know many schools that would not want 100% tested, (but there may be).
The point I'm making is don't cut corners with testing especially in schools, to many drive-by-testers.

The one thing I don't do is cut corners, took a house to bits once because near the end of an inspection I found something that needed further inspection my boss at the time got a phone call from the customer the following day saying he was going to sue me as his wife who was 7½ months pregnant had been taken to hospital with what was thought to be a miscarriage due to stress because I had told her that the installation didn't comply with the regs and was unsafe and suggested they got the builder to sort out the problems his electrician had left. The customer wanted my boss to send another electrician who would sign it off as compliant my boss declined telling him another electrician would find exactly what I had as he would be told to specifically look at what I had found rather than waste time looking at the bits of the installation that complied with the regs

It's very very rare that you will ever get 100% inspection and test as you would need to verify it against a design checking that space factors in conduit and trunking are correct checking under floor boards are a few that spring to mind how many actually do it and how practical is it to do it. Time and therefore cost is the biggest enemy of a 100% I & T

OP please don't take this the wrong way, but on the face of it you look a little out of your depth.
Well the way i thought was the children would not be using the sockets but the teachers would. Would they be classed as a skilled person? I have been teating for a while but this os my first school test.

Absolutely everything gets tested. All circuits in the db's, all supplies to the db,s, all supplies to sub mains panels. Everything
Nonsence, you talk to the customer and agree any limitations first, as the school is occupied you may find it is near impossible to do 100% tests, during the summer holidays maybe.

Common sense says you test schools when they are shut, you'd be daft to do it when they're open.
Yup very true, however, some schools never shut, they are open all year, during holidays they have activities going on, admitedly not all the school is occupied it can be the main hall and a few classrooms, I know of several I have maintained for years which vertually never close, when this is the case I find a chat to the site manager or head teacher about limitations and actual testing requirements to suit their needs is the best way forward, it is what I do dave :grin:

Reply to School testing. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net