Discuss Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing wrong to go above and beyond what BS7671 requires.
Chris was told we are supposed to be sealing all entry points to the CU according The the wiring regulations by the guy running the course but that’s not what’s in the Regulations hence the post

Chris was told we are supposed to be sealing all entry points to the CU according The the wiring regulations by the guy running the course but that’s not what’s in the Regulations hence the post
You are spot on with your opening post. Problem here is the people who tutor the courses and scheme assessors feel the need to gild the lily and hence the blind follow the path.

Maintaining the fire integrity of a metal consumer unit surely is common sense no?
My jtl guy that did our 18th is also an NICEIC inspector he was very passionate about fire safety to the point we should also be fitting intumescent pads in the back of plastic boxes in stud partitions. A little added protection never hurts anyone and for the sake of £2.89 I will continue to do so.

A metal consumer unit doesn't have 'fire integrity' to start with, so it's pretty hard to maintain something which doesn't exist! Metal CU's are manufactured from a non combustible material, this is very different from being fire rated.
If something does have a fire rating then it will have been tested and certified as such, and will have the details of this in the manufacturers instructions. If it is fire proof it will have a specific duration which it will remain fireproof for, usually 30,60 or 90 minutes. Nothing remains fireproof forever, nor will it remain fire proof if exposed to a high enough temperature.

Intumescent pads are required only when the back boxes are fitted in a wall which forms a fire barrier. You can generally tell the difference because it will be specified on the architects drawings or usually because it's a double thickness of 15mm plasterboard.

A larger distribution board in a commercial or industrial setting, might need different considerations; a simple domestic CU does not need all these fire retardant measures.
I never once said domestic Cu's do require it, I said I chose to do so. It maybe completely unnecessary, useless, pointless or what ever else people's opinions might be, I don't particularly care. I do what I feel is right and what helps me sleep at night. I lost a relative in a house fire many years back so I'm a little more sensitive to fire risk than maybe most.

The regs are there as a guide for at the very least the minimum requirements to make an install safe. If an installer chooses to do something that they feel improves the safety/integrity of an install and it does not violate the standards set, then that's their prerogative.

Some folk might change their view if they got their fingers burnt (excuse the pun):)

I never once said domestic Cu's do require it, I said I chose to do so. It maybe completely unnecessary, useless, pointless or what ever else people's opinions might be, I don't particularly care. I do what I feel is right and what helps me sleep at night. I lost a relative in a house fire many years back so I'm a little more sensitive to fire risk than maybe most.

The regs are there as a guide for at the very least the minimum requirements to make an install safe. If an installer chooses to do something that they feel improves the safety/integrity of an install and it does not violate the standards set, then that's their prerogative.

Some folk might change their view if they got their fingers burnt (excuse the pun):)

I'm sorry you've lost a loved one due to a fire, condolences.

But as has been already said, some are interpreting this now old'ish regulation, with their own take on it. They are not the only ones, some manufacturers are doing it as well.

A CU is not a fire hazard, when installed properly, it will not spontaneously combust. All this reg has done, is remove a source of fuel from a potential fire. That was what was conceived when this reg was made, but now it has be conceived by some to be a containment of a potential fire. Ridiculous really, with an open aperture for devices & insecure lid.

I lost a relative in a house fire many years back so I'm a little more sensitive to fire risk than maybe most.

Was this fire started by an electrical fault?

The point is that while the installer may feel like they are going above and beyond the requirements and making it safer than the minimum standards they are likely achieving absolutely nothing other than wasting time and materials. Also they often make the issue worse by misrepresenting their efforts as a requirement or a safety improvement they are neither.

This leads to problems down the line as people have an annoying habit of believing hearsay and gossip over things written in black and white in the regulations. Just look at the number rof things which get picked up on EICRs which are non-issues.

Give me a call tomorrow we can have a chat
Body swerve and cop out eh?! I see no reason that you can’t put your response on here for the forum members to read?

I did try calling but after 437 guesses at your number I had to give up :( However I’m not really that keen on talking to sassanachs ;)

The point is that while the installer may feel like they are going above and beyond the requirements and making it safer than the minimum standards they are likely achieving absolutely nothing other than wasting time and materials. Also they often make the issue worse by misrepresenting their efforts as a requirement or a safety improvement they are neither.

This leads to problems down the line as people have an annoying habit of believing hearsay and gossip over things written in black and white in the regulations. Just look at the number rof things which get picked up on EICRs which are non-issues.
Agreed. And who pays for all this extra unnecessary work - the customer I guess.

Reactions: DPG
Body swerve and cop out eh?! I see no reason that you can’t put your response on here for the forum members to read?

I did try calling but after 437 guesses at your number I had to give up :( However I’m not really that keen on talking to sassanachs ;)
No I will answer in due course that’s not a problem just wanted to talk to you personally as your comment was aimed personally at me and not the issue of fire sealing a consumer unit.

Can't really see the need for personal phone calls to be honest.
@DPG Think he wants a date o_O That or some proper training :)

Cant see why he can't answer the questions.

He called us all a bunch of old women, thats personal comment on everyone. Perhaps every member of the forum should ring him

Reactions: DPG
@DPG Think he wants a date o_O That or some proper training :)

Cant see why he can't answer the questions.

He called us all a bunch of old women, thats personal comment on everyone. Perhaps every member of the forum should ring him
Ahhh your in Scotland explains a lot.

The fire in the control board was caused by a poor connection. The fire at my Aunt's was caused by a faulty appliance.

I don't disagree with you! there is nothing worse than someone stating something is a requirement when this is not so.

I do what I do for my own peace of mind, whether its a waste of time or not does not concern me because if it helps me sleep at night then its worth the effort.
For example my partner goes around the house and switches all the sockets off and unplugs everything that can be. Its probably over kill but it gives her peace of mind.

Ahhh your in Scotland explains a lot.
Ahhh your in Englandshire explains a lot.

Touche!

Can't answer some simple questions, has various videos showing non compliant work and doesn't like it when it's pointed out. Undertaking unnecessary work (and no doubt billing the customer). Childish comments vis vis 'bunch of old women' and now a dumb attempt at a veiled racist joke...

I think I have your measure :p

And to save you the bother - yes i wear a skirt, no I don't wear pants, yes I have a beard, yes I'm ginger (collar and cuffs), yes I eat intestines, yes I shag sheep (but not my own as that would be incest). Yes I like a pint of heavy and a dram of the uisge bertha. Yes I fancy the 'Sturge' (even if she looks like wee Jimmy Crankie) and yes I believe in independence.

Over to you now, lets hear your worst Chris...

The fire in the control board was caused by a poor connection. The fire at my Aunt's was caused by a faulty appliance.

I don't disagree with you! there is nothing worse than someone stating something is a requirement when this is not so.

I do what I do for my own peace of mind, whether its a waste of time or not does not concern me because if it helps me sleep at night then its worth the effort.
For example my partner goes around the house and switches all the sockets off and unplugs everything that can be. Its probably over kill but it gives her peace of mind.
I'm really sorry to read your experiences. Thats awful. I dont think what you and your partner do is overkill. If it makes you feel safer then thats only a positive thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock