Discuss Self employed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Welshsparky

Ive been self employed around 4-5 months now, Although work is steady and i@m doing well from recommendations, Id still like abit more work :p

What were peoples methods of gaining work when first becoming self employed?

Business cards in local shops is a good, cheap way of advertising, along with local "times" type magazines. There is an old saying.... "you won't make a real profit for the first 5 years when going self-employed". If you have a steady supply of work after a few months then you have done well :)

Business cards in local shops is a good, cheap way of advertising, along with local "times" type magazines. There is an old saying.... "you won't make a real profit for the first 5 years when going self-employed". If you have a steady supply of work after a few months then you have done well :)

The first 5 years worn't a problem, its the last 5 that's been a ba****d!

Ive been self employed around 4-5 months now, Although work is steady and i@m doing well from recommendations, Id still like abit more work :p

For most new start up businesses it can take 2-3 years to get a regular income, from what you say you are doing the right thing so allI'd say is keep on doing what you are doing now!

Leaflets & flyers , get a couple of 1000 printed and hand post them to all properties and businesses in your area when you've no work on.
Can take a while for work to come through but its very cheap advertising.
Not too bad a job in the summer.

Leaflets & flyers , get a couple of 1000 printed and hand post them to all properties and businesses in your area when you've no work on.
Can take a while for work to come through but its very cheap advertising.
Not too bad a job in the summer.

Certainly agree with this, but don't simply use paper, use card if you can. I've just had work from a leaflet I dropped 18 months ago.

Try and get involved with people who will feed you regular work: Builders, decorators, developers, estate agents (w**kers), Kitchen/bathroom showrooms etc. A good contact can be worth its weight in gold. I get about 30k+ work a year from one kitchen and bathroom company and still have plenty of time for my own work.
These kinda things can be hard to get with just a flyer and it may well help to actually go and visit the business and have a chat with the guy, maybe suggest to do a job or 2 for cheap so he can see what you're about.

im surprised at the amount of emergency lighting systems that arnt maintained by sparks,normally done by fire companies for some reason,its not rocket science and the average factory/school needs it done,at around ÂŁ300 a year for four visits 10 sites is a decent earner,100 sites is a living..any failed lamps/fitings replaced at a charge too.

you have years to get established but to do that you need to advertise which costs money

Try and get involved with people who will feed you regular work: Builders, decorators, developers, estate agents (w**kers), Kitchen/bathroom showrooms etc. A good contact can be worth its weight in gold. I get about 30k+ work a year from one kitchen and bathroom company and still have plenty of time for my own work.
These kinda things can be hard to get with just a flyer and it may well help to actually go and visit the business and have a chat with the guy, maybe suggest to do a job or 2 for cheap so he can see what you're about.

Hi dave, how did you get in with the kitchen/bathroom company?...did you already know them personally or did you email them or something?...only asking because I thought it was a good idea to send emails to local companies like kitchen companies and builders and the like but had no response.....do you reckon I should just keep sending them out and one of them may need an electrical service by chance and then I'm through the door?

Reply to Self employed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net