Discuss Self Employed ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GWSparky

Hello all,

I'm 22 years old, I done a JTL apprenticeship and AM2. I now have my JIB card.

Since my firm has closed that I served my apprenticeship with, I have had no look at all finding someone decent to work with or under, without getting the Mickey took out of me money wise.

i don't have my 2391, but I have everything else, I have sent over 300 cv's and had a few replies, but the money is a joke, might as well pack shelves for what the firms offer around my area. ( Wrexham ).

I have managed to save to get a half decent van, and am seriously contemplating going self employed. Could I do minor jobs, sockets, showers, lights, cookers etc... Small domestic work, without being nic or any other governing body.

Its leaving me with no other option but to have a go myself, I worked for a guy 12 hours a day for 9 months for ÂŁ40. And when working in London it was ÂŁ80 and sleeping in a bloody garage with a sleeping bag.

I have worked on maintenance, commercial, domestic and some nice project grand design places, also some solar.

i think for my age I have some experience in everything. I'm keen to give it a go, but simply can't afford to do my 2391, or join the nic. Is there some sort of jobs I would be able to do ?

any replies and help would be very appreciated.

thank you.

You could start off by doing simple jobs which don't come under Part P but to keep the right side of the legislation attaining scheme membership should be a must, as it PL ins.

Could you get a "part time" job locally to get some money in whilst you are building up a client base? If you do go SE do the sums for ALL your business expenses.

Don't be surprised when it totals about ÂŁ500 per month - so you need to clear this to make a profit. Split the overheads into 2 columns - fixed, things like PL ins, scheme ins, van ins, van tax, and variable - fuel costs, van maintenance, advertising etc so you have a really good idea of where the costs are and what they are.

You'd also need to register with HMRC as SE and pay your class 2 NI's. Saving for your tax bill is a must too.

Hope this helps.

Go self employed and work as a sub contractor, you have the required qualifications. By working as a subby you may impress a large company who further offer you a cards in place, this if you so chose to accept. Since I took the leap I love being self employed and would struggle now to be convinced to going back cards in. Also as you are then self employed you can book in your own jobs to build up a customer base.

Hello all,

I'm 22 years old, I done a JTL apprenticeship and AM2. I now have my JIB card.

Since my firm has closed that I served my apprenticeship with, I have had no look at all finding someone decent to work with or under, without getting the Mickey took out of me money wise.

i don't have my 2391, but I have everything else, I have sent over 300 cv's and had a few replies, but the money is a joke, might as well pack shelves for what the firms offer around my area. ( Wrexham ).

I have managed to save to get a half decent van, and am seriously contemplating going self employed. Could I do minor jobs, sockets, showers, lights, cookers etc... Small domestic work, without being nic or any other governing body.

Its leaving me with no other option but to have a go myself, I worked for a guy 12 hours a day for 9 months for ÂŁ40. And when working in London it was ÂŁ80 and sleeping in a bloody garage with a sleeping bag.

I have worked on maintenance, commercial, domestic and some nice project grand design places, also some solar.

i think for my age I have some experience in everything. I'm keen to give it a go, but simply can't afford to do my 2391, or join the nic. Is there some sort of jobs I would be able to do ?

any replies and help would be very appreciated.

thank you.

NIPIT are cheaper than the NICEIC so I've heard! You can join without the 2391 or 2394/95 as it is now and you get a year or 18 months to gain it I think. It's going to cost you about ÂŁ500.00 to join on for the first year, public liability Insurance about ÂŁ100.00 max and then a tester ÂŁ600.00. When I started (5 years ago) I did some site labouring to fund the start up cost, and just built it up from there. Just do any jobs to get the cash. There is no shortage of work out there I've had to sack a few builders off coz I had too much on, and I live in a small town with about 8000 population. So I'd say go for it it will prob take about a year before your earning decent amounts of cash but it has earning potential from day one.

Good look!

Napit is cheaper but they Do not allow you to join without having 2391. They give about 6weeks for you to book a course and send in proof. They used to but its all regulated now

Napit is cheaper but they Do not allow you to join without having 2391. They give about 6weeks for you to book a course and send in proof. They used to but its all regulated now
yeah...caus its their own version....something like the `napit 2391` they calls it...

and it aint worth a jot outside of napit...

total con....

Thank you all for the helpful replies, I have a van and insured to work electrical etc... I have around 1,200 I could spend on certain things, is there anything I need to do specifically to be able to do minor jobs etc... Or would you advise to go for my testing, luckily I have a part time job delivering which brings in some money to help me out.

yeah...caus its their own version....something like the `napit 2391` they calls it...

and it aint worth a jot outside of napit...

total con....

Yea that is a con. Ive heard about that. Its only recognised by napit but for the sake of ÂŁ100 or so id go the full whack.

Dont think its even got that as a fancy name hahaha

Reply to Self Employed ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net