Discuss Self Taping Screw and Washers in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m just after some advice as I’m looking to have a stock of self tapping screw and metal. Most would need to be an Inch or less and then some general washers.

try Warnhill Tools in Winsford. TEK screws come in bags of 200, various sizes. fantastically low prices. My first port of call for tools, aerosols, screws, silicon and such . etc.

I use the Orbix self drilling metal screws and find them very good indeed! I use their wood screws as well due to the large flat head on them, much better than countersink and allows for some adjustment.
We have a local merchant that does the hex head ones in light and heavy section that are great for commercial purposes!
For self tapping screws I keep an assortment tray I got from Halfords that nearly always has what I need!

try Warnhill Tools in Winsford. TEK screws come in bags of 200, various sizes. fantastically low prices. My first port of call for tools, aerosols, screws, silicon and such . etc.

I will have a look at them. I’ve found this site:

Where to buy and what to buy. Main use for them is fixing FP200 into metal using P Clips and also screws for Door Contacts as 1” 8 are too big.

I try to keep a selection of fasteners to cover most eventualities, but generally find when you need a particular fixing it'll be the one thing you don't have.

Some sort of organiser might be an idea as it can be topped up as necessary and much easier than rummaging through a box of allsorts.

I try to keep a selection of fasteners to cover most eventualities, but generally find when you need a particular fixing it'll be the one thing you don't have.

Some sort of organiser might be an idea as it can be topped up as necessary and much easier than rummaging through a box of allsorts.

I’ve got some Stanley Fatmax Boxes.

As commented above, for P clips into metal I'd imagine you want self-drilling screws.
I tend to get a trade tub of red plugs and screws for general everyday use, a set of screws to cover other situations, then anything else as required for the job (e.g. wall dogs, self drilling, machined)

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/rawlplug-uno-plastic-wall-plugs-screws-6mm-x-40mm-500-pack/299hv

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/golds...oodscrews-trade-case-grab-pack-1000-pcs/99867

When I worked at a factory a long time ago I did manage to get a jobsworth middle manager to label a tray of nails "self-tapping nails" when he was flapping around in the wake of a British standards inspection and demanding everything was labelled to death. "Nails? that doesn't help anyone? What length, what type, what material?"
Quick as a flash I shouted out "Galv 2 inch self tapping sir.". My co-workers managed to suppress the sniggers. "THATS more like it, thank you!". Label machine whirred into action. It gave us minions a laugh for many months afterwards.

As commented above, for P clips into metal I'd imagine you want self-drilling screws.
I tend to get a trade tub of red plugs and screws for general everyday use, a set of screws to cover other situations, then anything else as required for the job (e.g. wall dogs, self drilling, machined)

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/rawlplug-uno-plastic-wall-plugs-screws-6mm-x-40mm-500-pack/299hv

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/golds...oodscrews-trade-case-grab-pack-1000-pcs/99867

When I worked at a factory a long time ago I did manage to get a jobsworth middle manager to label a tray of nails "self-tapping nails" when he was flapping around in the wake of a British standards inspection and demanding everything was labelled to death. "Nails? that doesn't help anyone? What length, what type, what material?"
Quick as a flash I shouted out "Galv 2 inch self tapping sir.". My co-workers managed to suppress the sniggers. "THATS more like it, thank you!". Label machine whirred into action. It gave us minions a laugh for many months afterwards.

Main screw we use are Stainless Steel Countersunk. In 1 inch Inch and a Half and 2 Inch. I’m just also looking for Spacers or Washers to put behind Alarm Panels, to stop the panel from squashing the 8 core cables.

Just buy some self tappers man
That’s not helpful when the guy’s asking for advice.

I got the orbix self drilling multi box assortment from YESSS a while ago, but with all selection boxes, there are certain sizes you use a lot, and others not at all. Just have to replenish the commonly used ones…. Which is different for every job.

Once you choose the most suitable size(s) then pick a good pilot drill if needed. Not too big, or the screws won’t bite.

I’m just also looking for Spacers or Washers to put behind Alarm Panels, to stop the panel from squashing the 8 core cables.
I used to occasionally have a session with a chop saw and 20mm conduit and create a few spacers.
If 'caught short' then female brass bushes were a slightly more expensive alternative!

Main screw we use are Stainless Steel Countersunk. In 1 inch Inch and a Half and 2 Inch. I’m just also looking for Spacers or Washers to put behind Alarm Panels, to stop the panel from squashing the 8 core cables.
to space panels from wall I use 1/2"(variable) cuts of 20mm pvc tube around the screws.

Reply to Self Taping Screw and Washers in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net