Search the forum,

Discuss Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You know what I mean, not in text speak.

sew what u try sayzing innit dat youngenz dunt no ow 2 speak pruper englich like eye uzed to did Innit

Weve just started a new lad and ill be honest with you it is well worth it. Hes got great ambition and hes a grafter with a good intelligent head on his shoulders. I say give him a chance and youll know if hes any good or going to be any good.

So, I gave this lad a chance today...

I picked him up at 08:45 sharp, he was ready and waiting...

Very polite and presentable.

He has booked on a two / three year college course in September and paying for it off his own back Level 2 Electrical, think 2330.

I pulled up at the job, he was straight out, let me carry that for you, then he started moving the stuff that was in the way of where were to work, didn't even have to ask him...

very willing, eager to learn, asked questions etc..

I had to knock a bif of breeze block out with the SDS, i went to put it back in the van, i turn round and he is there with the dustpan and brush cleaning up...

I tried to fully explain everything I was doing and why we do it. He doesn't know anything at all about electrics, literally nothing.

I showed him the regs book etc, explained thoroughly about safe isolation and consequences of not doing it etc.

This was a board change by the way, so I explained to him about the Nm for the screws etc, and he then looked through the literature to find it, sure enough he found it. Then i got him to tighten everything down, then check everything was tight and not broken off.

He did all the R1+R2 tests on the upstairs lights under my supervision.

Did various other things, made labels with the machine,

So very helpful, he will be joining me again next week now, im quite excited infact!

Oh and we even went to Eddys and had a free hot chocolate!

!= There is nothing sharp about 8.45 ya lazy sod!
2= I am really glad he turned out to be a good one
3= I said it would make things more productive,so technically I am going to take the credit for encouraging you.

So, I gave this lad a chance today...

I picked him up at 08:45 sharp, he was ready and waiting...

Very polite and presentable.

He has booked on a two / three year college course in September and paying for it off his own back Level 2 Electrical, think 2330.

I pulled up at the job, he was straight out, let me carry that for you, then he started moving the stuff that was in the way of where were to work, didn't even have to ask him...

very willing, eager to learn, asked questions etc..

I had to knock a bif of breeze block out with the SDS, i went to put it back in the van, i turn round and he is there with the dustpan and brush cleaning up...

I tried to fully explain everything I was doing and why we do it. He doesn't know anything at all about electrics, literally nothing.

I showed him the regs book etc, explained thoroughly about safe isolation and consequences of not doing it etc.

This was a board change by the way, so I explained to him about the Nm for the screws etc, and he then looked through the literature to find it, sure enough he found it. Then i got him to tighten everything down, then check everything was tight and not broken off.

He did all the R1+R2 tests on the upstairs lights under my supervision.

Did various other things, made labels with the machine,

So very helpful, he will be joining me again next week now, im quite excited infact!

Oh and we even went to Eddys and had a free hot chocolate!

Sounds like you've a gud un there.
If he is 16 why is he paying for a course? All basics are funded! I doubt its 2330 as if I'm right in thinking that was phased out in 2011. I think its 2365/6 now but could be wrong. Good luck!

08:45, the customer didn't want me there till 9am, I usually start at 8am on site. GMES, thank you for your encouragement!

This is the board I changed with him, he thought it was only going to take an hour, he had no idea what was involved.

Interestingly, well more annoyingly, the socket circuits, I couldn't label sockets up and sockets down etc, because probably 50% of each circuit was on the other floor, no idea why, they have had the house from new and no works been done. Hence the label on the front to explain, and vague 'Sockets' label on the breakers.

I have never fitted a Hager board other than Invicta as always been an MK person, not a chance im going back to MK now, the Hager board is so much better!

2014-06-27 09.10.18.jpg2014-06-27 09.11.53-2.jpg2014-06-27 09.12.41.jpg2014-06-27 09.13.27.jpg
2014-06-27 09.27.20.jpg2014-06-27 09.37.15.jpg2014-06-27 14.30.22.jpg2014-06-27 15.27.23-2.jpg
2014-06-27 16.04.27.jpg2014-06-27 16.04.20.jpg2014-06-27 16.jpg

Yes uk maybe you could take him on as an apprentice, at his age you should get full funding, and also if he is brand new you can mould him to the shape that suits you and your work.
If you can find enough to keep him busy and maybe look for a couple of extra jobs a month that will pay for him, then you can begin to give him more and more work, everybody wins that way. jmo

Sounds like you've a gud un there.
If he is 16 why is he paying for a course? All basics are funded! I doubt its 2330 as if I'm right in thinking that was phased out in 2011. I think its 2365/6 now but could be wrong. Good luck!

He said he was paying for something for it, not sure what, yes probably 2365, he wasnt sure of the number.

We shall see how it goes, but reading up on it, im not in a position to be commingling to an apprenticeship at the moment, maybe in a year or so, who knows, he said he will look for a proper apprenticeship near the end of his course.

He said its three days a week, so I said, if I make sure I have stuff booked the other two, that gives him two days a week working and earning a bit of cash.

I can certainly see the benefit of having another pair of hands though.

I was the same mate, couldn't make my mind up about making the jump, but boy I am glad i went for it.
Your job just becomes much easier with 2 of you.
Also giving him 2 days a week is probably a good idea, there is not as much pressure for you to find more work but also you can get to know each other gradually, But whatever you decide I hope it works out for you both, it is a nice feeling giving someone a chance now and then.

Give the lad a chance, everyone deserves one, someone give us a chance and we wouldnt be where we are now would we?

i disagree though with people who wrap their apprentices in cotton wool by buying their lunch/taking them home/not having them sweeping up etc..

This is a major problem with apprentices now, its a generation of kids who had everything handed to them on a plate, ive had loads within the past few years and there was very few who could stand on their own two feet

When i was an apprentice (12 years ago i started), i had to buy my own lunch, get to and from work (if one of the lads dropped me off one day i saw that as a bonus) and most importantly i had to do the menial jobs like cleaning up, fetching gear etc.. its common sense to teach them these things first, they will end up with a chip on their shoulders once qualified like quite a number of other tradesmen i know.

And what did i get? £40 a week and a bloody good apprenticeship, i also learnt good customer skills and that you always clean up after yourself, plus also earning respect from the sparks who taught me when i became qualified.

without tarring them all with the same brush, they all just seem to roll up from school now and think a apprenticeship is a game which they expect to be paid for, ive had first years who join us earning £150 a week FFS! STRAIGHT FROM SCHOOL, STILL SOAKING WET BEHIND THE EARS, so they have a mentality of beleving its their right to have good pay from day one, i struggled on £40 a week and i knew it, which made me graft my balls off to get taken on by the firm and start earning more by working my way up, it wasnt until i was a 3rd year i started earning £150+ a week

so to summarise, throw them in at the deep-end, they have been wrapped in cotton wool by mummy for 16 years, its now time to enter the real world and start to earn a crust

PS.. i have all the time in the world for apprentices... IF and only IF they are willing to learn and be told what to do, we all started at the bottom once upon a time

08:45, the customer didn't want me there till 9am, I usually start at 8am on site. GMES, thank you for your encouragement!

This is the board I changed with him, he thought it was only going to take an hour, he had no idea what was involved.

Interestingly, well more annoyingly, the socket circuits, I couldn't label sockets up and sockets down etc, because probably 50% of each circuit was on the other floor, no idea why, they have had the house from new and no works been done. Hence the label on the front to explain, and vague 'Sockets' label on the breakers.

I have never fitted a Hager board other than Invicta as always been an MK person, not a chance im going back to MK now, the Hager board is so much better!

View attachment 25419View attachment 25420View attachment 25421View attachment 25422
View attachment 25423View attachment 25424View attachment 25425View attachment 25426
View attachment 25427View attachment 25428View attachment 25429
is it split into two e.g. right side sockets and left side sockets?

I know of a firm that does this

is it split into two e.g. right side sockets and left side sockets?

I know of a firm that does this

or front and back. Can be easy when splitting ccts like this. drill drops and put pigtail off cuts in so you know where they are from below. Also if there's a fault you don't lose power on whole floor

Glad you took him on mate, i know what its like trying to find somewhere/someone. Started my apprenticeship at 16, 17 now and about to start my second year. Trying to find someone to even give you a chance was very very very difficult. When they said "what age are you?" On the phone and you said 16 you almost heard them gasp! There are some guys at 16 are genuinely interested and can make a cracker cuppa as you have seen!

No it was weird, it was verging on random, I really couldn't see any logic in it.

I really did enjoy fitting the hager board though, it just felt so good, the mk ones, when you tighten the breakers they all slant, with this they didn't. It just felt good.

No it was weird, it was verging on random, I really couldn't see any logic in it.

I really did enjoy fitting the hager board though, it just felt so good, the mk ones, when you tighten the breakers they all slant, with this they didn't. It just felt good.
I used to fit the 3 phase ones with the clear front panel, actually thinking about it the single phase ones used to have clear fronts.
it looks like they have changed !! the one in your pic is a solid front.

including boots or has he got some already? I haven't commented on this thread so far, but really hope he works out for you. He sounds keen and you mentioned that he asks the right questions. always a good sign

including boots or has he got some already? I haven't commented on this thread so far, but really hope he works out for you. He sounds keen and you mentioned that he asks the right questions. always a good sign

The bit that worried me was uk's last post about not knowing how the lad felt about 20.00 per day, if he wants to learn the trade then he needs to start at the bottom.

I actually meant to say about that also.forgot to type it.still got a bloody headache.
yeah, he really needs to know how the lad honestly feels about the money and whether or not it will stop him giving it 100%. If he wants more, I'd personally say no at this stage.if he's happy with the arrangement, great.

I suggested £20 per day plus lunch to this lad and I'm not sure how he took it to be honest.

I can guess how he took it, especially as he worked well from what you said. Perhaps an explanation as to how and why you came to this figure would help. e.g. picking him up, tools, extra time taken on jobs to train + check work. Are you paying his college fees and time at college as normal apprenticeships? If not, surely he should be on minimum wage at least?

I think he was ok with it, it was difficult to say, hopefully he will accept it. Jees, I gave him £20 on Friday for helping and didn't do a vast amount, but just wanted to keep him happy and show that I don't want him for free etc.

Yes I'll get his footwear.

I text him today to let him know I've got this extension on mon, tues, thur and fri, a shower circuit Wednesday and a rewire all next week, he didn't reply though... He's only 16, maybe he's run out of credit, I'll email him.

Ive got loads of useful documents I'm going to email him, I've got the 2330 and 2365 books as well so can really help him if he wants my time.

I can guess how he took it, especially as he worked well from what you said. Perhaps an explanation as to how and why you came to this figure would help. e.g. picking him up, tools, extra time taken on jobs to train + check work. Are you paying his college fees and time at college as normal apprenticeships? If not, surely he should be on minimum wage at least?

I said to him that I came to the figure by way of what other people pay etc and hen see how it goes and increase accordingly, I mentioned I'm not sure what the minimum is but will look at it and work it out as to give him the correct amount. But the majority on him seemed to suggest £20 + lunch to start with.

I said to him that I came to the figure by way of what other people pay etc and hen see how it goes and increase accordingly, I mentioned I'm not sure what the minimum is but will look at it and work it out as to give him the correct amount. But the majority on him seemed to suggest £20 + lunch to start with.
2.60 is minimum per hour from goverment. It varies by age though

Thats for first year apprentice.

It will be £20.80p for 8 hour day say

Where did you find that info please? I just looked and it said 3.72 per hour for under 18...
For first year they will be on apprentice minimum wage 2.68

On gov.uk

Quick google search brings it up

My employer is a checky basted and I dont get min.

As soon as I find somewhere else im leaving, I wouldn't mind so much but firm is slapdash now the 2 decent sparks who always do a good job have left

uksparks,reading your posts he's a lucky lad to have you as a boss. Don't suppose he's realised though that "apprentices" over thirty would consider giving you £20 a day one or two days a week.

I hope he's not like most his age and understands that it will cost you (time/tools etc) to mentor him. Also that when qualified he will earn far more than his mates (maybe) who may never earn much more than min wage.
I perhaps focused on 'not quite sure how he took it' too much!

So i ring my insurance today about PI and employers etc, and to add one extra person on, eg this lad, they want £230 until renewal 11 months away...

Seems a hell of a lot? Any ideas?

Yeah don't pay it and if he as an accident , clock him out before he it's the floor, simples.

Could it be his age and lack of experience, did you have to declare that, just wondering if that bumped it up

No nothing, they didn't ask... I'm with NICEIC insurance.

just wondered really what other peoples experiences were of this and prices as I don't really want to be forking another £230 out, I've got to though unless he has his own which he hasn't and that's really up to me to sort.

No nothing, they didn't ask... I'm with NICEIC insurance.

I'd rather poke myself in the eye... :)

just wondered really what other peoples experiences were of this and prices as I don't really want to be forking another £230 out, I've got to though unless he has his own which he hasn't and that's really up to me to sort.

If want to expand, you need to spend.
You can't do everything yourself.
Then there's the art of delegation!!!

I've not waded through all the posts but what is this lads "employment" status at the moment - is he signing on? Probably worth checking.

it's the employers liability that costs the biggest. be better for hom to be self-employed and you get PL insurance extendsed to cover 1 subby.

Reply to Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net