Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss shaver socket tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys wondering if you could help with problem I've got?

I wired a shaver socket off of a new lighting circuit in a loft conversion I recently carried out. Everything was fine when I tested the circuit (removed the shaver socket when testing) and the results were expected and within limits however the customers reporting to me that when he plugs in his toothbrush/razor it trips the rcd. I thought at first maybe there was a problem with the equipments he's plugging in but he tells me that when he plugs into a normal socket with a adapter it works fine and doesn't trip the rcd.

I've not been out to look at it yet but was going to try a different shaver socket I case the one I fitted was faulty but think that's doubt full. Has anyone any ideas?

I think the plasterer has been disconnecting then reconnected downlights and switches since I finished after doing some plastering. Hoping this isn't causing the problem.

Thanks in advance.

if a plasterer has been round it, could be anything from a nailed cable to a N-E reversal if he's been messing with connections.

Why even ask this question without investigating, wouldn't you be better asking something if you have checked out everything first and are still stuck?

No numpty, remove the screws to eliminate a fixing screw cutting in to the neutral!
Sorry numpty but with most of these questions and answers I see on here you have to make yourself clear, usually if the neutral had an earth fault the RCD would trip all the time not just when he uses the socket.

Why even ask this question without investigating, wouldn't you be better asking something if you have checked out everything first and are still stuck?

Why even take the time to write that comment? You like a few others on this site really bring it down and annoy genuine guys like me thats just asking for anothers advice experience or opinion. If you don't know, care or don't want to help then just keep your unhelpfull comments to yourself.

I'm asking a question before I go to replace the shavers socket incase that's not the problem and so I have maybe someone else's experience of a similar problem they had.

Why even take the time to write that comment? You like a few others on this site really bring it down and annoy genuine guys like me thats just asking for anothers advice experience or opinion. If you don't know, care or don't want to help then just keep your unhelpfull comments to yourself.

I'm asking a question before I go to replace the shavers socket incase that's not the problem and so I have maybe someone else's experience of a similar problem they had.

First thing to do before changing anything is to IR test the circuit.....

Would you like a check list to take with you, if I'd had asked that sort of question of any of my employers over the years they would not of been very happy I can tell you. I'd of been told to just go get it sorted, end of, just get on with it lol
Go and lie down in a dark room.

You deserve nothing more than to be ignored, im sure your used to it. :)

I agree with you

the problem with this site is it counts how many times you comment on a thread.
so a lot of people just spout rubbish on every thread to get there count up. (as if a high count is a badge of honour)
IMO it would be a lot better site if that was removed

people think if you've commented 2000 times you know more than others

Come be honest what a question from a skilled person or perhaps he's not a skilled person if that is the case he should leave the electrical work to those who know best.
I agree with you

the problem with this site is it counts how many times you comment on a thread.
so a lot of people just spout rubbish on every thread to get there count up. (as if a high count is a badge of honour)
IMO it would be a lot better site if that was removed

people think if you've commented 2000 times you know more than others

Come be honest what a question from a skilled person or perhaps he's not a skilled person if that is the case he should leave the electrical work to those who know best.

but if everyone takes the **** then people will be put off asking a question in the first place.

and if no-one asks questions then the site should shut down

the answer may be obvious to you but not to the person asking

the questions you've asked in the past may be obvious to others

I totally agree, they seem to miss out all the easy things to look at then go home and worry there's something really major, for god's sake it's only a bit of house bashing lol
I Know.....just being sarcastic as it seems to me the last thing which a lot of the 'RCD tripping' posters seem to do is IR test anything.

Time will tell

- - - Updated - - -

Time will tell
but if everyone takes the **** then people will be put off asking a question in the first place.

and if no-one asks questions then the site should shut down

the answer may be obvious to you but not to the person asking

the questions you've asked in the past may be obvious to others

and spend a few quid on this package.

41UjOlsKUjL._AA160_.jpg

Reply to shaver socket tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net