Discuss Shed supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Boaky

Is a shed supply fed off a ring main via a 13a switched fuse spur allowed.
i was always taught it should be classed as a sub main And sub mains arnt allowed to be wired off ring mains
i recently done an EICR and come across this and coded it a C3
should I have coded it a 2?

Please don't take this he wrong way, but you last 2 threads have both been about EICRs, it seems you still have a lot to learn about doing them before doing anymore.

why would you code it?

I coded it cause I was taught that submains arnt allowed off ring mains
i haven't taken it the wrong way
I do a lot of testing and I always just write my queries down and pass them on to my superiors
but I really need to start asking more questions which is why I love this forum

It's good to ask and yes you will learn from doing it. You need to know and understand the regs to do EICRs, also a good knowledge of older versions too as you are assessing it to the current regs but it if complied to earlier editions then different codes may be needed.

What at was the sub main feeding? Was it a new DB or just sw fuse spurs and sockets?

So how is RCD/RCBO protection given to the sockets?
How is the cable run to the shed?
What OCPD protection is used for the cable feeding the shed?

The ring it's off is a true ring fed via a B32 MCB off a dual RCD board
The SWA is buried
everything is upto standard all bonds in place just this sub off a ring

The spur is part off the ring and the RCD is in the CU.
nuisance tripping was my only concern at first until my superior
informed me I should treat the shed as a sub main

IMO, it's not good practice, but from what you say, no regs. have been breached, so a code C3 would be my guess.

pretty good, hanging in the right place tonight :grin: this not being able to drink lark is getting annoying though, I am drier than the sahara and getting seriously cheesed off with it, the odd pint here and there is very frustrating lol

pretty good, hanging in the right place tonight :grin: this not being able to drink lark is getting annoying though, I am drier than the sahara and getting seriously cheesed off with it, the odd pint here and there is very frustrating lol

Mind over matter Mike, I am drinking a can of coca cola even though I have a fridge full of alcohol.
PMA as Delboy would say

Tell me about it!!

I haven't been allowed drink since October! :angry:

Is a shed supply fed off a ring main via a 13a switched fuse spur allowed.
i was always taught it should be classed as a sub main And sub mains arnt allowed to be wired off ring mains
i recently done an EICR and come across this and coded it a C3
should I have coded it a 2?

I thought a code 2 was only given for something that has a potential of being dangerous in the event of a fault. But I may be wrong.

Tell me about it!!

I haven't been allowed drink since October! :angry:
On a positive note I haven't been drinking the Creamflow you will be pleased to hear, I had a John smiths a week or so back but that was the first one in nearly 3 months lol, I hope you are feeling better fella, things will improve I am sure, fingers crossed for you anyhow.

Reply to Shed supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net