Discuss Should Scotland be allowed another referendum and do you think parliament has a right to deny it? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should Scotland be allowed to take another referendum because of Brexit as is the SNP's claim?

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
I am not putting words in to peoples mouths, it's the language such as
'allowing the Scots to have a referendum'

Instead of supporting people to have democracy- remeber the Scottish Parliament is vastly more proportional than Westminster
Boris got elected on a lower % of the vote and a lower % of the seats than the SNP did in Scotland yet he has a mandate but the SNP don't

As I said earlier (on another thread) the UK government keep changing the goal posts about when and if Scotland can decide her own fate.

I am sorry if it comes across as anti-English, it is most certainly NOT.

I can't be bothered with this. You seem like a very bitter individual, and certainly nothing like the Scottish people I know and who I have worked with.

So what is your reasoning for ignoring the fisrt referendum?....I can’t be just because a politician told a fib surely?......you seem well read and and level headed, little bit obsessed maybe but...you can’t honestly believe any campaign for or against a referendum will be any different next time?

It’s OUR country, all of ours.....United Kingdom what affects one affects all......ok ask for a vote poor choice of words on my behalf fueling your fire but I’m sure you understood what I meant mate ?

I understand where you come from, but my point is ,
The Scottish Parliament is democratically elected on a quasi PR system - if it decides to hold a referendum who has the right to block it and why.
Is it up to people other than the Scottish voters (through the Scottish Parliament) to decide their own future? or are they subservient till the end of time?

I understand where you come from, but my point is ,
The Scottish Parliament is democratically elected on a quasi PR system - if it decides to hold a referendum who has the right to block it and why.
Is it up to people other than the Scottish voters (through the Scottish Parliament) to decide their own future? or are they subservient till the end of time?
So how would you feel/react if you lost another referendum?....be honest!....where does it stop?, and let’s not forget how from an economic point of view at least how destabilising referendums are....uncertainty frightens investors and that’s what you’ve got uncertainty in the future, if frankie gets it across the line there’s no real guarantee that Europe will welcome Scotland with open arms, does it need another dependant?....will there even be an EU? I know you’ll scoff but it’s a possibility and I’m not arrogant enough to suggest that just because the United Kingdom chose to leave, it’s been failing for years,

So what is your reasoning for ignoring the fisrt referendum?....I can’t be just because a politician told a fib surely?......

Quite simple:
“When facts change, I change my mind,” John Maynard Keynes famously said

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. These words are usually credited to the acclaimed genius Albert Einstein

Scotland has voted Labour for decades and we seem surprised to get a tory government.
The point of independence is no more Tory governments in Scotland and running our own affairs

A corner pillar of the last referendum was that Scots were told to vote NO was a guarantee of staying in the EU

1592252982203.jpeg

My neighbour is Polish and his wife is German, they both live here, obey the law and pay taxes.
He voted NO in the last Scottish independence referendum, his wife did not vote then.
They would both vote to now be in the EU (as things stand a hard Brexit is on the cards and there is NO chance of Scotland being in the EU, with #IndyRef2 we have a better than average chance)

There are about 40,000 voters passing on in Scotland each year, most of these that pass on are older and predominately NO voters to #IndyRef2
The younger ones are predominately YES (over 60%) so the longer it is between votes the higher the propensity of a YES vote.

Add that to the 180,000 or so EU nationals in Scotland who either did not vote last time or voted NO then you can see why Westmonster is getting a squeaky bum.
If Boris thought that NO would win he would call Nicola's bluff and 'let us choose'

Last edited:
Don’t forget Boris has to take every body into account....I understand you clearly hate the tories, would rather be a one party state?, dangerous territory that...you seem to have ignored my questions regarding instability and the eu???

So how would you feel/react if you lost another referendum?....be honest!....where does it stop?, and let’s not forget how from an economic point of view at least how destabilising referendums are....uncertainty frightens investors and that’s what you’ve got uncertainty in the future, if frankie gets it across the line there’s no real guarantee that Europe will welcome Scotland with open arms, does it need another dependant?....will there even be an EU? I know you’ll scoff but it’s a possibility and I’m not arrogant enough to suggest that just because the United Kingdom chose to leave, it’s been failing for years,

The EU is a side issue for me
I want independence and honestly believe that if we were bleeding the UK dry (as they suggest) the Tories would drop us like a hot potato

Why force someone to stay in a marriage that does not want to be there, not much of a partnership of equals

You seem to be forgetting Nicola is a means to an end- once we get independence the SNP will disappear like snow off a dry stone wall.

The EU is a side issue for me
I want independence and honestly believe that if we were bleeding the UK dry (as they suggest) the Tories would drop us like a hot potato

Why force someone to stay in a marriage that does not want to be there, not much of a partnership of equals

You seem to be forgetting Nicola is a means to an end- once we get independence the SNP will disappear like snow off a dry stone wall.
C’mon I only target Nicola because it’s easy to do so!...lazy of me I know but I like a laugh...I believe the great billy connelly coined the greatest phrase in politics....”anybody who wants to be a politician should automatically be barred from being one!” Or words to that affect ?......I’ve heard you argue the bleeding dry case before, where are you referring that from?......I’m also a bit disappointed in the present climate that anyone of your clearly educated mind would hate or detest anyone that badly purely for a different set of ideals or beliefs...I dint want Scotland to leave but would be the first to shake yours of frankies hand should you succeed in a fair and democratic way......now c’mon what would you say to all the voters that are concerned for Scotland’s economic stability should frankie succeed??

Reply to Should Scotland be allowed another referendum and do you think parliament has a right to deny it? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back