Discuss Spur off a spur, & new socket with 13A SFCU? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

NewOhm

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a frustrating problem:

I had planned to add a new double socket in my living room, which has no power cable run/sockets down one wall. This is an interior masonry wall adjoining my kitchen, with sockets on the other side feeding under-counter washing machibe and dishwasher.

So, i took a look in the kitchen and found that the double socket feed was installed directly under the sink! The supply to this is a single white PVC T&E cable fed from above, disappearing up behind tiling, and i assume spurred off the upstairs Ring. (After checking, all my downstairs sockets are spurs - wiring seems like it might be 1960's original).

Furthermore, this double socket already has another unfused double socket spur connected by a (grey) trailing T&E cable, running behind the cupboard to a conservatory (DIY extension i think).

This is the only power close enough to tap into for my new living room socket (no possibility of ripping up floors) and its already a mess!!

My proposal:

Install 13A SFCU before first spur socket which is under sink (and relocate socket!). This would then permit another socket to be added on the load side of the SFCU (3 doubles now) and correct the existing issues.

Problem: washing machine is 10-13A, Dishwasher is 8-10A....so 18-23A possible from that one socket. SFCU would be close to limit...nevermind the additional 2x double socket loads (intended to be for a laptop or ipad charging and a digital radio so nothing major)

Any ideas? Only thought i had was to put the SFCU 'after' the first unfused (kitchen) spur. Then max load on wiring run up to RFC would be limited to the 13A load of SFCU and the washer/dishwasher load. I.e. max 36A...which is a bit above the T&E cable rating..arghhhh!

Thoughts?

TL;DR
SFCU off an unfused spur (wrong i know), Risks with loads nearing T&E limits...what to do without ripping up the house!!
Sounds like a spider ring final where a ring is run upstairs then spurs are dropped for downstairs, not uncommon but not used in this day and age.

Reply to Spur off a spur, & new socket with 13A SFCU? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net