Discuss Storage heater rawl plugs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, 37 years ago when I installed storage heaters for Norweb, believe it or not, we used fibre rawl plugs. If you know you know..chewed the end to splay it out...:)
Fast forward 37 years and I'm about to replace an old Elnur for a new Creda heater. Does should a product still exist..? Before I go scrabbling around my oldest tool box or is the answer to use simply use metal rawl plugs?

TIA

For brick or block, a decent brown rawplug and the right size screws, at least 2 inches long.

If its on a partition wall, find the studs and drill the bracket to suit if you need to.
Red rawlplugs are too easy to pull out, and dont ever use 'driva' or toggle type fixings with storage heaters on a partition wall.

I too fitted a lot of storage heaters for Scottish Power in about '92 ish for every council house in the area.
They also used the fibre plugs as one or two tenants had managed to pull them off the wall.

Same houses, put a screwdriver down on the kitchen floor, and it stuck fast in the grease.... 🤢

For brick or block, a decent brown rawplug and the right size screws, at least 2 inches long.

If its on a partition wall, find the studs and drill the bracket to suit if you need to.
Red rawlplugs are too easy to pull out, and dont ever use 'driva' or toggle type fixings with storage heaters on a partition wall.

I too fitted a lot of storage heaters for Scottish Power in about '92 ish for every council house in the area.
They also used the fibre plugs as one or two tenants had managed to pull them off the wall.

Same houses, put a screwdriver down on the kitchen floor, and it stuck fast in the grease.... 🤢
Nice one pal. Will do that, it's on a brick wall. So brown plugs and 2" screws it is..👍

I’ve possibly still got some fibre plugs from way back in an old screw box…. Along with the 2” x 10 that we used.

Storage heaters, day in, day out… Bloody awful job.

I also fitted hundreds of storage heaters for SSEB in the 70s and 80s, we were told that we had to use fiber plugs as plastic ones might melt, thought it was a load of ---- then and still do now. Use whatever fixing is best for the wall.

I also fitted hundreds of storage heaters for SSEB in the 70s and 80s, we were told that we had to use fiber plugs as plastic ones might melt, thought it was a load of ---- then and still do now. Use whatever fixing is best for the wall.
There was an instance whereby a thermostat had malfunctioned and the casing became red hot and melted the plastic plugs.
Probably in the day before thermal cut outs were introduced thats why we were told to use fibre plugs.

Yes, had a few of those.
One I particularly remember was removing a stack of baking trays from inside a kitchen unit. The bottom ones came out, leaving the top of the stack suspended in mid air.
Occupants of this particular property were both secondary school teachers.

Reply to Storage heater rawl plugs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock