Discuss 3 KW fan heater plug `Pins` are Hot when pulled out of socket - What causes this ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: 3 KW fan heater plug `Pins` are Hot when pulled out of socket - What causes thi

"Hello All",

As I felt a bit irritated and embarrassed by the comment from a Member who must have thought that I was an Idiot and who remarked something similar to `Call youself an Engineer` ! ? ! - [I am a Heating Engineer] - I wanted to Post an explanation about why the `Resistance` factor / Faulty Plug wiring which caused the Plug Pins to become HOT [Not `Warm`] was NOT at all obvious to Me:

HERE is an `explanation` about My Electrical knowledge [or lack of it] - AND why I am a Member on the Electricians Forum for the Member who was so quick to `decry` Me:

I would have `learned` about `Resistance` and many other aspects of Electrical Theory and practice during ACOPS Courses in the 1990`s and again during the CORGI Defined Scope [Heating] Part P Course and Assessments in 2005.

BUT - I always wanted My Heating System Controls wiring carried out by an Electrician who could then issue a Certificate for it - usually also having either rewired the Home or at least having carried out an Electrical Safety Inspection - the Majority of My Heating Systems were for Housing Associations during the 1990`s and up to about 2008.

I got into the `If You don`t use it you lose it` scenario regarding not being able to remember the Electrical Theory that I had `learned` during those Training Courses and Assessments - I was NEVER `using it` and as a consequence I have forgotten most of it - even the `Simple` Theories.

My question about the Plug Pins getting VERY Hot [Not `Warm`] was something that as a Heating Engineer I have never come across - Why would I - ?

I do realise that this comment leaves Me `wide open` to Members questioning whether I should ever be doing any Electrical task - which is why I do not carry out Electrical Works - preferring to leave it to the Professionals.

It was never My intention to do My own Heating Controls wiring - the ACOPS Courses and Assessments in the 1990`s - Electrical Safety [`Essential Electrics`] and Electrical Installation for Mechanical Services were My idea of ensuring that I was `Safe` to work on Heating Appliances - which obviously have an Electrical supply - and theoretically being able to `Prove` that with the ACOPS Certificates - IF ever necessary.

I do realise that this type of Course and Assessments are `Despised` by most of the Members - BUT - I was NEVER trying to become an Electrician - Just trying to `learn` how to ensure that I was working Safely on Heating Appliances.

The CORGI `Defined Scope` Part P was with the idea of `enabling` Me to carry out My own Controls Wiring - If absolutely necessary - i.e. an Electrician was not available - but this was never required as at that time the Building Contractor who I was getting most of My Plumbing and Heating Work from contracted all the Electrical work to a Self Employed Electrician.

And at His Clients insistance ALL the Electrical Works within the Refurbishments of properties that His Company carried out had to be Certificated by the same Electrician / Electrical Installation Company - obviously including the Heating System Controls - which is why that Electrician wired My Heating Systems.

As I did not get to the stage of wanting to do My own Electrical Work I did not obtain any Testing Equipment - [luckily regarding the perceived Costs] - another reason why I would not carry out Electrical Works.

It is now so long ago since I would have been able to remember most of what was in those Courses and Assessments that I would never carry out any Electrical Works.

Although Members will be thinking - `We don`t want to read your Life Story` on here - I wanted to try and clarify exactly My `position` regarding Electrical Work - Also I have NEVER tried to give advice on any Electrical matter on this Forum.

Because I was helped by topquark regarding an unusual wiring question on Heating Controls - which fell beyond the `Normal` methods / wiring systems - I decided to try and be Helpful to Members of the Forum in return regarding Central Heating problems.

NOT regarding Wiring Questions but more in a `Diagnostic` manner to try and identify the offending Control - or possibly Errors in the Design / Pipework configuration - although this is obviously VERY difficult in a Forum situation.

That is why I am a Member of this Forum - I became a Member to Post an Electrical question - received valuable Help from a Member - topquark - and then decided to show My gratitude and `Give Back` some knowledge from My own Trade / Profession - Heating - Plumbing & Gas Installation.

I hope that Members have not been Bored with this.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Re: 3 KW fan heater plug `Pins` are Hot when pulled out of socket - What causes thi

Relax Chris. Your question was perfectly reasonable and you really don't have to explain yourself. :)

Everyone forget's things they were taught years before when they dont have to use that knowledge day in day out....it's natural.

There's always one joker in the pack and as much as tend to not rise to them meself i do let some innocent comment get me riled at times for no real reason.

The written word is so stale it can easily be taken totaly the wrong way on forums (learnt that from many years of online gameing forums) so best to sit back and ignore what might seem like a jab/dig from someone.......just wish i always stuck to this little rule meself.

"Hello Guitarist and Swicade",

Thanks for your messages - I am not a particularly `sensitive` person - in fact far from it - My motivation for writing My Post was not entirely to explain to the Member who commented in a less than positive manner.

I think that it is a positive thing that I have explained My situation to Members regarding how I have previously been involved in learning SOME aspects of Electrical Installation and Safety and the unfortunate situation of not ever using any of the Electrical Theories / Calculations and because of that having forgotten them.

Also I wanted to explain how I came to be a Member of the Electricians Forum to try and get a slightly unusual Control wiring question answered - was helped by topquark and then wanted to remain on here to see if any Heating System questions came up that needed a little more than the Electrical diagnosis aspect so that I could be helpful - as a `Small Payback` for the help that I received.

I appreciate the positive comments from both of You - "Thanks again".

Regards,

Chris

i wouldnt worry about it chris,everyone has bad days,say things they dont mean etc,but things roll on to the next thread and its all forgotten...:wheelchair:

i wouldnt worry about it chris,everyone has bad days,say things they dont mean etc,but things roll on to the next thread and its all forgotten...:wheelchair:

"Hello alarm man",

I agree with what You wrote but the Wheelchair avatar is a strange thing to Post - ?

Chris

not really,just rolling onto the next thread,its the only one i could find that could roll/move on so to speak.

I'd just like to say that this thread was an absolute pleasure to read and it's very warming to see such a grateful member.

Whilst I feel you did not need to explain yourself every single word tallied up with all of your other posts.

It's also nice to see another tradesperson appreciate fellow trades and show respect for the work they do and appreciate the dangers involved.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this one:thumbsup

not really,just rolling onto the next thread,its the only one i could find that could roll/move on so to speak.

"Hello again alarm man",

Thanks for your comments - perhaps I misunderstood the Wheelchair avatar.

Chris

Last edited:

I'd just like to say that this thread was an absolute pleasure to read and it's very warming to see such a grateful member.

Whilst I feel you did not need to explain yourself every single word tallied up with all of your other posts.

It's also nice to see another tradesperson appreciate fellow trades and show respect for the work they do and appreciate the dangers involved.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this one:thumbsup

"Hello 1shortcircuit",

Thank You very much for your comments - I take them as Compliments.

I know that I probably went `overboard` with the length of My explanation but I did try to not make it any longer than needed to explain My situation and attitude to being a Member of the Electricians Forum.

It was particularly interesting to read what You wrote about My other Posts - I hope that My attitude to the Electrical Profession does `flow through` all of My Posts - I have the greatest respect for the Electrical Profession / Trade and all of its Professional Electricians and Engineers.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Chris

"Thanks again" to every Member who helped Me with My questions about the `HOT` Plug Pins and those who posted the positive comments after my very long `Explanation Post`.

I will not be able to respond to any other messages for about 8 or 9 Days as I will be away from Home until then - I did not want anyone to think that I was not replying because of `indifference` to their Posts.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, you'll more than likely find that it's heat transfer from the PLUG itself, and in turn that will be because 1) the internal connections aren't that great and 2) 3kw = almost 13A....... ANY plug will get hot after an extended run flat out (an exception being the MK chunky plugs!).
get someone to stick a blue commando socket in the living room for her.....together with a blue commando plug for the heater....there job sorted!...

get someone to stick a blue commando socket in the living room for her.....together with a blue commando plug for the heater....there job sorted!...

Unfused plug ?

Unfused plug ?
ah but its shielded....besides...its fused at the C/U......
Look, i`v even found whats needed here...
images

Cheaper to buy a new heater than install a new, dedicated circuit for one piece of equipment, I'd say. Need a spare way in the cu too.

Cheaper to buy a new heater than install a new, dedicated circuit for one piece of equipment, I'd say. Need a spare way in the cu too.
put a sub board in dedicated for this heater......an industrial one will do....

Reply to 3 KW fan heater plug `Pins` are Hot when pulled out of socket - What causes this ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net