Search the forum,

Discuss Supermarket petrol stations and rip-off air lines in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

ringer

-
Reaction score
Just spent over £75 in Tescos filling up the tank and thought I should check the tyre pressures. Not only does the machine now require 20p pieces to work - it needs lots of em to check all tyres. First 20p ran out after checking the two front tyres - and I wasn't hanging about either. Morrisons next time for me - though you do need to spend over £15 before they'll give you the code for the machine. Filled up my motorbike one day, £14.23 (that was from empty to full) and they refused to give me the code for the air line. Bring back all the independent petrol stations with free air lines.

ringer do you drive a monster truck?
The Murco down the road from where I live only charge 50p which I find does all my tyres and checks them twice.
As I recall the nearest asda filling station (cheapest petrol around) offers free air, as does the 2nd cheapest (Sainsburys).

I have got a small compressor in the garage, which just got accidentally left there when i left a company many years ago, If anyone wants to come and blow the tyres up its only 10p a go, no matter how many tyres:D

I think tesco have a token if you buy a certain amount like morrisons code (altho i find asking for a code they generaly give you one no matter what) Iv seen a rise in water charges from tesco ect ( i was told it has screen wash in it but @ 50p Id rather fill from a tap and use concentrate TYVM

C'mon lads you're getting there, Graeme is closest with £87 but my Jeep put's you all to shame so far....from empty at a local independant the other day cost me £102 to fill!!!!!!

Is there any reason apart from tradition that air should be free at a petrol station? I can imagine there's quite some expense involved in installing and maintaining a compressed air system that is open to use and abuse by joe public. Just a thought, not trying to start a riot.

Is there any reason apart from tradition that air should be free at a petrol station? I can imagine there's quite some expense involved in installing and maintaining a compressed air system that is open to use and abuse by joe public. Just a thought, not trying to start a riot.

there are costs associated with the air machines but there is also a lot of profit that the big oil companies make from the fuel. i personally would not have too much of a problem paying for air at say a local 1 man / woman band independent petrol station, but as the big ones are charging after making fortunes off us i don`t think it`s too much to ask for a bit of free air.. also i was once without screen wash and could not see through the window pulled over and got stung a quid for the pleasure of tap water:mad::mad:

I would say that the biggest argument for providing free air and free windscreen wash etc isn't the fact that they are making money on fuel, more the fact that these items are safety related and not supplying them freely could cause accidents.

On the other hand I'm sure they would counter that by charging a nominal fee for them they are reducing abuse of these items and thereby ensuring a more reliable availability.

also i was once without screen wash and could not see through the window pulled over and got stung a quid for the pleasure of tap water:mad::mad:

Ive actually paid for bottled water from the station shop because it was cheaper than out of the machine. And no, Evian does not clean the windscreen any better!!!!

heres a wee thing I put in a fuel forum in answer to someone saying "What does 2 p rise matter" I put that in a year fuel had risen by 10p a litre the company I worked for had 50vans each averaging 15o ltr a week so 10px50x150x48(allowing 4 weeks for holidays)===£36.000
or in otherwords a mans wage inc overtime or 3 apprentices its 7little rises that go unnoticed that end up costing a fair bit

The air line in my garage is free. just costs the electric to run it. As regards filling with juice, a 50/50 mix of diesel and veg oil runs just great. I don't bother with the waste stuff. new veg is 87p ltr. bought in 20ltr tins. gives a resultant cost of around £1.02 ltr

Reply to Supermarket petrol stations and rip-off air lines in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net