Discuss SUplimentary bonding in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daverogers

Hi all got one for you here.

I just did a EICR on a flat which has no supplementary bonding in the bathroom nor any RCD for the special location.

ive had a disscussion with a work mate and we dissagree on something. I said install a rcd for the lighting circuit only. RCBO is not and option as its the old style wylex 60898's. No the bathroom is supplied of the lighting circuit via a switched fuse spur above the bathroom door in the hallway. He says just install a RCD switched spur.

Whats your thoughts..

And yes the bonding is in to water and gas.

Many thanks

I just did a EICR on a flat which has no supplementary bonding in the bathroom nor any RCD for the special location.
Perhaps it's not required or is applied elsewhere.

ive had a disscussion with a work mate and we dissagree on something. I said install a rcd for the lighting circuit only.
Is the lighting circuit the only circuit in the bathroom?

No the bathroom is supplied of the lighting circuit via a switched fuse spur above the bathroom door in the hallway. He says just install a RCD switched spur.
You could.

RCD protection is only one of the conditions to be met for the omission of supplementary bonding. 701.415.2 (iv),(v),(vi)

Whats your thoughts..
You can't tell by looking.
You need to take some measurements.

This installation is obviously pre 17th edition. If so you need to find the estimated age of the installation and which version of the regs it was installed to. Then you need to check what requirements for special locations and supplenentary bonding are included in that edition. Remember supplementary bonding does not always have to be a piece of cable between 2 or more pipes. Eg monoblock taps, tmv's, bath mixer taps all provide bonding between the pipes. Have you tested to see if bonding is in place by other means.

Thanks all for your responses I have checked that R is acceptable (R < 50 x v/Ia) which in my case is 0.31 and I am well below this between the exposedconductive parts and extraneous conductive parts in that location.

That is the correct value where a 32A circuit is the highest in the location.

So, no supplementary bonding is required.
Assuming, as you said, the main bonding is satisfactory.

Just to be clear the equation is R ≤ 50V/Ia.

Reply to SUplimentary bonding in bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net