• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Testing Smart Homes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

RedJerry

New EF Member
Evening All,

I have been asked to test a newly built smart home. This place has the works! Everything from the heating, lighting, alarms, music etc is controlled (by Loxone). I feel a bit overwhelmed about this and was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this? I believe the lights are 24vdc and I am really scared about breaking something expensive.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

RJ

Professional Grade LED Lighting Strips

James the Spark1976

electricity is it real or just magic?
Electrician's Arms
Evening All,

I have been asked to test a newly built smart home. This place has the works! Everything from the heating, lighting, alarms, music etc is controlled (by Loxone). I feel a bit overwhelmed about this and was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this? I believe the lights are 24vdc and I am really scared about breaking something expensive.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

RJ
Turn it down unless you fully understand what you are testing.
also, if its new build surely it comes with certification and wont need testing for some time?

RedJerry

New EF Member
Turn it down unless you fully understand what you are testing.
also, if its new build surely it comes with certification and wont need testing for some time?
The build has just been completed and they need it certified for mortgage reasons or something.
I am not comfortable working alongside smarthome stuff. I will never learn or be comfortable unless i ask questions and try to be better.

James the Spark1976

electricity is it real or just magic?
Electrician's Arms
The build has just been completed and they need it certified for mortgage reasons or something.
I am not comfortable working alongside smarthome stuff. I will never learn or be comfortable unless i ask questions and try to be better.
I know where your coming from but surely the people who installed it should have been part p etc and supplying the cert.
I’m not doubting your abilities but if I didn’t understand it I would not consider myself competent to test it
Ps are you insured against wrecking a 3k home server if you accidentally blow I by it testing th wrong cable? Not so much a question but food for thought

Strima

Electrician's Arms
If this is a new build then the installers should have certified it.

Charlie_

Electrician's Arms
I’m just in the final stages of commissioning a full smart home installation..
I tested all the wiring in stages as each area was completed and before I connected up any of the devices..
The control panels I built had a separate expansion chamber at the top, with rows of top job wagos installed, to which all the installation wiring terminated into.
I am providing a set of manuals which will give full details on testing procedures, etc.
What size is the house?
How many circuits?
Do you have any pictures of the control panels?

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
Sorry to repeat things, but if it’s a new build, there should be an initial verification, citing the designer, builder and tester of the installation.

You can’t put your name to it without knowing cable sizes, routes etc.

If you’re just doing an EICR, then have a long list of limitations, and visual checks only.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance