Discuss The "Pinch method of stripping twin and earth cable" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can you strip the sheathing off close to the entry to an enclosure (socket/consumer unit etc) with those tools? I doubt it, but willing to be proven wrong.

Like a pro , just don't slip when you are pulling that razorblade towards yourself...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiYUZDm8-q0
Would never, ever , ever be stupid enough to use a Stanley type blade to strip cables, far to sharp and dangerous, and nowhere near robust enough, still carry on if you feel confident, band aids are cheap enough, cus you WILL cut yourself using those things, designed for trimming carpets or Plastic tiles etc NOT cables
[automerge]1579107119[/automerge]
My OH has just opened a bottle of red, so I am off for the evening.
You as well Mate? enjoy see you tomorrow maybe
[automerge]1579107276[/automerge]
Can you strip the sheathing off close to the entry to an enclosure (socket/consumer unit etc) with those tools? I doubt it, but willing to be proven wrong.
What a folding Knife?? yes, every time no prpblems.

for cables < 6mm the jokari is the quickest and best, can get within 1/2" of the cable entry, unlike the CK tools. 1 pull, the sheath, 2nd pull, the conductor insulation, job done. it's also good for rubber pond flex sheath, which is a pig any other way.

Alot of things to consider really. Things like carrying around too many tools, types of installations, speed vs quality etc.

For me, I like to carry light with tools. I mainly do maintenance so only a small amount of stripping t+e. For that reason I only carry my knipex combi pliers and I get away with it.

I do have a pair of the CK strippers and they are really quick and clean when stripping lots of t+e repetitively. They can be awkward to get close inside a box though. They are also good for flex and pond flex which is really useful.

The jokari looks a good option. I haven't tried but I think I'll give them a go.

I have worked with guys that have pockets full of different tools and constantly changing and swooping but I see that as unnecessary.

I got the Jokari free as part of a promotion. Prior to that, I was using the CK automatic wire stripper.

Can't be done with all this faff teasing out the CPC, drawing it down, trimming the sheath, scoring and stripping the conductors.

CK autostripper for me, three actions (per cable) and jobs done.

I regularly do 10-20 DSOs in dado I can, and do, strip and prep the lot in minutes, its a no brainer.

My OH has just opened a bottle of red, so I am off for the evening.
Simply secure a small bag of polystyrene balls,around the outer sheath,to dissolve the required length,then,using a pet hand-held mink,or rat,either is ok,gnaw off the insulation.

I really don't know how you lot would cope,in a real-world scenario...?
Hi PEG, not trying to be funny or argumentative in anyway, who are you aiming your last comment at the? The pro stripping tool guys or the anti stripping tool crowd

The Jokari flat wire strippers are a god send I've tried others and settled on them.

I never really got on with a knife for smaller T&E although I do use one for 10mm.

Times are a changin Pete and in this case for the better. However people should use the tools and method they are comfortable with.
Why use an i-pad when stone tablet and chisel will do. :D

Hi PEG, not trying to be funny or argumentative in anyway, who are you aiming your last comment at the? The pro stripping tool guys or the anti stripping tool crowd

Mainly...a bit of levity inserted?
I think,between those using rudimentary methods,maybe not prescribed by the makers of the cable...and those with a bag of gadgets,and lots of time...is a choice of suitable actions.

I can remember a time where you performed castration on an animal,in the farmyard,with a sharp penknife....it would still work today,but it is not necessary,and you could be in trouble?

I tried to teach an 18 year old how to use a knife to score and strip T&E. His view was that it was a load of Bollards. I challenged him to strip with the pinch method while I used the score method. Before he had even got hold of the earth to pull it I was done, score snap and pull easy! I do use the Quikwire strippers as well when I have 30 sockets etc. I have all the cable prepared in 10 mins, no way I could do that by the old pinch method. As it was put to me; the reason we score and strip is because we are craftsmen not just an electrician. Such precision is a way of thinking that should permeate all the work we do.

Reply to The "Pinch method of stripping twin and earth cable" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net