Discuss Today ended with a bang! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reminder ... anyone offended by any post then use the report button ..do not react please!

Can we continue the thread without the slating thank you :)

once went to a customer to refit an alarm contact to a new pvc front door. the fitters had done a lovely job and had fitted a nice shiny brass doorbell push button. unfortunately, the 50 year old doorbell was 240V, so when i pressed the push button, the brass button connected with the fixed 240V contact. OUCH.

It's because the supply was still live in a partially cut cable that had blown the fault clear... any vibration could have blown it ... front end fusing may be very high ampage ... hence my earlier comment he's lucky no one was hurt and more so he's not in hospital... cutting through a DNO cable at close range with zero PPE doesn't usually end well.

DaveOCD’s explanation sounds more plausible. Since hydrogen sulfide and mercaptan gas is highly volatile, power gens decision to evacuate the property appears prudent. :nuke:

Dillb.....If you can honestly say you have never ever balls-ed up with a live cable that you assumed was dead I would be very,very surprised. I have...loads of times. It's quite correct to talk about safe isolation and all that but in the real world I'll wager there's not an electrician who's been around a while who hasn't got it wrong at least once.

3 days ago I spent the night with a beautiful woman who I have been getting to know for a couple of months. We slept in the same bed so I thought 'eh up things are looking good'. Unfortunately sleeping and chatting were the only things that were permitted, along with the information that not much else would happen until we were married!!!!!:frown2:

The next morning I cut through a live wire as my mind was a long, long way away from were it should have been! :6:

I've had mains on coax too, as well as a bit of 4-core CW1293 phone cable run in through the front door frame from near the phone dropwire joint box. And a figure-8 bell wire that definitely went to an ordinary Friedland bell push (it was on the mains side of the tranny)....

I've see CAT5 cable and ripcord/speaker cable used as LV as well on a few occasions as well.

I think there's always going to be things that catch sparkies out even if they're following safe isolation procedures whether it be a hidden redundant supply that's still live, a supply that's crossed over from a different premises, an unexpected battery DC supply when you're testing for AC isolation or even a UPS that's hidden away somewhere. The problems are more common on control systems where there can be numerous points of isolation for a single panel as well as LV/ELV, AC/DC and modulated AC supplies from VFD's.

Most experienced electricians have developed a certain way of working and doing things in general that reduces the chances of them getting a shock in these cases, it's just little things but they make a big difference. In an ideal world you should never get a shock and you should never destroy your side cutters and that's certainly what we should all be striving for but in the real world, if you never get a shock and you need a new pair of sidecutters every couple of years I'd settle for that.

Last edited:
I have seen the led sheethed 6mm used as a back to back feed of the supply in a semi detached, looked just like a bit of 6mm T&E just older and made of led, when I worked out what it was I phone UKPN and they didn't believe me for a while, guess there's not much of it about any more. They came out and dug from the road into the house, seemingly no trench, clever stuff!

3 days ago I spent the night with a beautiful woman who I have been getting to know for a couple of months. We slept in the same bed so I thought 'eh up things are looking good'. Unfortunately sleeping and chatting were the only things that were permitted, along with the information that not much else would happen until we were married!!!!!:frown2:

The next morning I cut through a live wire as my mind was a long, long way away from were it should have been! :6:

Kick that one into touch mate, it's even less likely once you are married........:77:

Just a quick update, power gen UK went to the property feeding both houses and had to evacuate the property.

Regards,

Mike

So the burning question is, did you offer the damsel in distress a roof over her head for the night, given that it was your fault she was evacuated? :wink:

So the burning question is, did you offer the damsel in distress a roof over her head for the night, given that it was your fault she was evacuated? :wink:

Good point ; if he had offered her a roof maybe the day could have ended with a bang....

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point ; if he had offered her a roof maybe the day could have ended with a bang....

My money is on he offered his honour, she honoured his offer and all night long he was honour and offer.:biggrin:

I will get my coat...lol

Another quick update,

it it turned out the house that was feeding both properties is fed in a lead supply cable!

its strange as the house I'm working in has an old resin cable feeding the property.

so far the supply head has been replaced but the supply cable is still lead??

im guessing the cable is 1950's?

Its been left so im assuming it's not being changed anytime soon as it runs through her living room!

Mike

Gents, ALWAYS prove DEAD for yourself and prove DEAD to anyone else working with or you or alongside you.
Never assume, also always prove your tester before and after proving DEAD, may seem like overkill but may just save a life.

In a world where everyone wants a job completed at warp speed, puts all of us under pressure but take your time, and be SAFE.

Reply to Today ended with a bang! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net