Discuss Tools Robbed! Liverpool in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am shocked watching that vid, so many tools for sale obviously knocked off and they have the bare cheek to sell them.
The police would have a field day if they could be bothered.

I am shocked watching that vid, so many tools for sale obviously knocked off and they have the bare cheek to sell them.
Police aren't interested and to be fair unless they catch the thief red handed what do we expect them to do

Had a couple bikes nicked from my shed at my old house, reported it that very morning when I noticed the shed door had been ripped open. 2 days later a lady police officer came round to take a brief statement and basically said the chances of seeing the bikes again were effectively zero and to just put a claim in on my home insurance.

I don't know the details, but it seems Boot Fairs are a law unto themselves and the sellers do not have to prove where the items came from, something about buying from Joe down the pub comes to mind.

I don't know the details, but it seems Boot Fairs are a law unto themselves and the sellers do not have to prove where the items came from, something about buying from Joe down the pub comes to mind.
Its all cash no questions asked , the police would be wasting their time trying to prove whats is a legit seconds and what is stolen gear

It's not that they can't be bothered. It's how much manpower it would take to prove the tools were stolen and also who they were stolen from. The people selling the tools will have removed any identifying marks and gone over them with a UV lamp. Not much that can be done really unfortunately.

While ever people are willing to buy knock off tools then people will steal them and sell them.

It's not that they can't be bothered. It's how much manpower it would take to prove the tools were stolen and also who they were stolen from. The people selling the tools will have removed any identifying marks and gone over them with a UV lamp. Not much that can be done really unfortunately.

While ever people are willing to buy knock off tools then people will steal them and sell them.
This is true, the scale is mind boggling I've never really thought about thing is I dont think like a criminal.

Even if they prove them to be stolen and whom they belong to, they then have to disprove that they didn't buy them in good faith, especially if they produce a receipt for a bulk buy off Joe blogs.

Ends up a lot of manpower and time for little outcome in the vast majority of cases.

Last edited:
One issue I do have with police response to stolen goods is the fact that forces can now sell recovered goods, with (I believe) revenue raised going into their own coffers.

I'm sure they make an effort to reunite stolen goods and their owners, but can't help wondering if initialled tools that end up in auctions had never been reported stolen or if no effort was made to return them. I want to believe it's the former.

One issue I do have with police response to stolen goods is the fact that forces can now sell recovered goods, with (I believe) revenue raised going into their own coffers.

I'm sure they make an effort to reunite stolen goods and their owners, but can't help wondering if initialled tools that end up in auctions had never been reported stolen or if no effort was made to return them. I want to believe it's the former.
They have auctions selling a massive range of items cars, houses etc from police/customs.

It boils down to not having the manpower or the motivation to be bothered with petty theft.

They have auctions selling a massive range of items cars, houses etc from police/customs.

It boils down to not having the manpower or the motivation to be bothered with petty theft.

These are two entirely separarate issues. HMRC sell goods which have been seized for whatever reason and the options would be to sell these goods or destroy them - as such it seems reasonable to sell them as HMRC are the rightful owner of these items.

Police forces sell recovered goods - whether they be lost or stolen. I hope that efforts are made to return these to their rightful owner, prior to being offered for sale.

These are two entirely separarate issues. HMRC sell goods which have been seized for whatever reason and the options would be to sell these goods or destroy them - as such it seems reasonable to sell them as HMRC are the rightful owner of these items.

Police forces sell recovered goods - whether they be lost or stolen. I hope that efforts are made to return these to their rightful owner, prior to being offered for sale.

Undoubtedly they have a look for reported lost/stolen goods, but there are probably lots on the list.

I think it's after 90 days, unless it's claimed they sell it off.
So i guess it's down to the owner to keep calling them, which many won't bother.

Reply to Tools Robbed! Liverpool in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net