Discuss Trainee Forum Poll. in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should there be a dedicated trainee forum?

• Great Idea!

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • Wont really help much.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Yes i would help!

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • No thanks.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Depends how you use the forum - I tend to just click 'what's new' and read anything that looks interesting, usually without knowing which sub-forum it's in.
I think there are already too many sub-forums as it is; how many threads started by new members begin "firstly I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place..."?

I'd like to feel that anyone can ask or answer a question as the need arises, without having to try to pigeonhole members into 'askers' and 'answerers'.

Stickies and the search function are a nice idea but there will always be a fortysomething career changee who wants their own tailored answer as to the best/quickest way to become an electrician around family commitments.

I think E54 as outlined how the section should be run.

Initially IMO it should be for guys who are training and throwing ideas around. Some of the longest threads on here are concerning training, a few days ago the March 2391 was a hot topic and I think most guys that night who sat it all contributed to it and it reached several pages in a night. So there is interest.

Because this is such a one dimensional medium the internet, sometimes answering a question can come across as either chest puffing or mocking, where often it is neither. A sub forum would allow trainees to first ask in there with their peers, without in their eyes looking foolish, and they may get to where they want to go, and if not then the more experienced hands could point them in the right direction.

I honestly think that the forum is in danger of diluting itself, possibly due to it's popularity. We are reaching a point now where, I have to be careful how I put this, where critically wrong answers are being given on topics by members that do not fully understand the subject and are proffering wrong and sometimes dangerous advice.

I always thought that this forum took the place of the "teahut" in so many respects. I think I learned more sitting in the teahut listening to sparks talk and do things, than I ever learned in college, until you move onto higher courses, but the teahut was a vital part in my training, the banter, the pee take, and the listening. We don't have these now as such, but we could have something similar here.

I was told in my training, that a part of my job was to also train younger guys coming into the industry and to make sure I passed on what I was taught to a new generation. Sadly with the industry as it is, I can't do that for an apprentice, but I think we can do a similar job on here.

If the Mods need a hand then I for one would gladly help if I can

What a great idea, wish I suggested it (cough cough lol). I did about a year ago and got some good positive replies.

The way I think this would work is if we had a sub forum that any member can reply to but once that member becomes argumentative, none constructive, be-littles anyone, gives very inaccurate advice or starts a heated debate regarding Electrical Trainee's and post their own opinion up about how it deskills our industry should be barred from the training forum only. We don't need a hand picked selected group to give answers to student, that would just reduce the amount and speed of replies.

The Electricians Forum is excellent, we have all the right tools to set something like this up. Hundreds of time served sparks from every background that are on her every day, a small hand full of members are lecturers/trainers, a few IET members, others like myself that have been through the full time college course and can relate to the new students problems. We have the most popular forum in the UK that is run extremely well considering the amount of members and it would be a shame not to utilities the tools we have to build something that will be such a help for hundreds if not thousands of new electricians. Many people moan that colleges and training centers don't teach people as good as what they used to do and that certain skills are being lost along the way, here is your chance to pass on your skills and experience to the next generation so our industry can keep the respect of being a professional occupation.

As said before, having stickies for the basics eg.2330/2357, 2382, 2391, NVQ3, AM2, PAT testing etc etc in one place would help a lot of people out and stop people from asking stupid questions.

I would also like to say that we are not here to do your homework for you. We should give guidance to where to look for the formula to work out the answer for themselves.

This sub forum will bring in new members, increase their knowledge and understanding, help them get better grades, hopefully get a better lifestyle through obtaining a better job, increase the skill level of the industry.

All we need is forum members with the right attitude and understanding to achieve what could become a massive success. Count me in.

All opinons and suggestions are noted fellas, so keep them coming.

All i am doing is putting ideas out there for us to think about.

I think a DIY forum is a good idea, so maybe make it a sub forum in general.

All we are trying to do is keep all the forums a little more organised, not segregating new comers.

The stickies for various courses is a great idea, and these can be in the main Courses forum. It just needs someone with the knowledge of them to create a thread.

And as Paul has said, its a way of trainees etc getting info and help.

I'd be happy to 'help' if needs be, but as mentioned I don't think there's any need for an additional sub-forum.
As malcolm says the recent March 2391 thread was popular, in fact there were several on the same topic to which the OP was pointed in the direction of the more popular thread. Rather than demonstrating a demand for a special forum this proves that not only are there already sufficient places for members to post what they want but if anything there are too many places as shown by the multiple threads on the same topic.

Consider the situation of a trainee asking about inspection and testing, or asking a question on the regs - are these supposed to go in the inspection & testing or regs sections, or in this new trainee section? What if someone were asking the same question after they've passed all their exams? Surely that would mean the same questions could be asked in either section, so before asking the question it may be beneficial to look in both sections anyway? Or for the more impatient they could post the same question in both sections to try to reach more people.
My point is that people seem to find the forum confusing enough as it is, without making it bigger so people can get lost as well.

The general consensus seems to be that more sub-forums is better so I'm sure I'll learn to live with whatever is decided.

Good point Adam but the way I see it would be that students ask their mock training questions in their safe training room forum where they wouldn't get sarcastic replies and qualified electricians would ask for actual help on an actual problem, eg:-

Q, "What cert to issue for installing a shower?"

If this was asked by someone like I/P=U (sorry for using you as an example mate) that is doing his 2391 and 2330 l3, he would ask it in the training room.

If you or me needed to ask the same question we would put it in the normal I&T forum that would get a more adult reply and probably a bit of stick for asking such a basic question.

I think the point of all this is to generate a friendly environment for new comers and a place where they can bat and ball off each other seen ad they are all in the same boat.

I see your point Paul but at the same time not many forum members would belittle a trainee for asking a trainee question, because they have been there them self. There is already a section on electrical courses and NVQs so that could potentially be used as somewhere practice papers could be discussed, otherwise if someone is going to explain what certification to issue with a new shower circuit that might be something someone else might want to see, for example a householder who has just had a new shower circuit installed and wants to know what certification the electrician should have issued, which could even be an unregistered member.

I recently joined an IT forum to ask a computer question - when I registered I had the option of selecting my skill level; I did it so I could hide under my tag if people started going off on one about stuff I didn't understand and hopefully people would be more accommodating if I asked for someone to explain their answer.
Perhaps something more like that would work here? The option to list one's approximate skill level - non-electrician, trainee electrician, electrician.
Maybe best not to have too many different levels such as 'industrial electrician' or 'domestic installer', because you know how that will end up.

Whilst the opinion of expert and experienced electricians is very valuable, many times a question that is asked within a learners classroom is looking for a response in line with prior learning and key syllabus.
It has happened before where a textbook question that is asked simply required a textbook answer, many times of which the answer will conflict common practice and opinion. On these occasions differences of opinion start confusing the learner and so it can cause more harm than good.

I am not suggesting that only those with lecturers backgrounds should respond, but I am suggesting that something be put in place to aid learners to identify the classroom answer and the experienced answer.

ill be happy to help. Im going to draw some idiots guides to bending tray and trunking, sets, internal/external 90's ect. Its gona take a whle on autocad, but when finished it will be a good guide.

As quite a few others have already said, I'm happy to answer questions by pointing them in the right direction, quote a section of the regs etc so they can go and look. They'll learn more that way.

At the least they're taking an interest (or are they just looking for easy answers, me being cynical)

As quite a few others have already said, I'm happy to answer questions by pointing them in the right direction, quote a section of the regs etc so they can go and look. They'll learn more that way.

At the least they're taking an interest (or are they just looking for easy answers, me being cynical)

Pointing people in the right direction is all we should do here IMHO

Maybe a trainee section but not forum. We are all still trainees, nobody knows everything.....and we all ask silly questions from time to time. Keep it how it is!!!

Reply to Trainee Forum Poll. in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net