Discuss Transformers in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wil

I have a Dewalt 24v chop saw. The batteries have had it and after checking online, someone have converted his drill to run off a transformer by taking the dud insides out of the battery casing and wiring in a conection to a transformer so he could then slot the battery back into his drill and run it off the mains supply.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing so what I would like to know is, what type of transformer would I need and what would be the specs of it. I was thinking along the lines of 220v ac to 24v dc producing at least 350 watts to overcome the start up power of the saw. I know you can get 220v to 110v & 24v ones for building site work, but they are quite expensive,i there a cheaper alternative out there.

you'd need a 240/24V transformer. then you'd need to convert from ac to dc by using a bridge rectifier and some electrinics to give a nice smooth 24V dc.

buy yourself a dewalt drill or some other 24V tool that uses the same pattern batteries.

Yes we use 230v to 24vdc power supplies in control panels all the time, they have a 5a power rating but you can get bigger, or you can use 3 x 5a power supplies in parallel. The brand we use are Meanwell, they have them on eBay, to connect the outputs in parallel might require a diode though so they don't back feed each other!

A switch mode supply would cater for both 110 & 230V supplies, should be able to pick one up from flea bay for a reasonable amount. Personally I'd buy a new battery.

I must be missing something here....

What's the main reason for having a battery operated drill in the first place, oh yes, so you can take it anywhere, especially in places where there is no power supply available. So converting it to a drill that needs a lead and power supply kinda defeats the whole purpose....

why did you buy a battery one iin the first place?

there is always a genny if you need power for it somewhere.

a chopsaw would kill batteries quick

I worked on an airbase, they don't allow 240v stuff only battery, but now I'm retired I won't be shifting it about now, and yes you're right it does kill batteries quick so it's anoying having batteries run out halfway through a job. But as the saw cost me £700 I don't fancy chucking it and I know substitute Batts are £40 each, I'd rather spend the money on a transformer if one exists at under £80 (2 Batts min)

Reply to Transformers in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net