Discuss TT Submains time delayed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been asked to install a supply for a TP air source heat pump to heat a swimming pool.

The pool room CU is feed from a barn with a TP supply and luckily the SWA feeding the pool room CU is a 4 core.

The barn is going to be converted in the near future into 2 holiday lets so I'm going to upgrade the ancient board that's in there.

My question is can I cover the couple of SWA submains by a 30 or 100ma time delayed RCD and have it conform? I have hardly touched any TT systems as we don't have many around where I am.

Many Thanks.

Time delayed 100ma S type are usually a main switch with a split load board of maybe 2 30 ma RCDs to give you discrimination. What is the type of supply at the origin. Is the ground condition suitable to drive in a Earth Electrode, may be test the soil resistance first if you can The issue I think you may have is the inrush currents of the heat pump unless it has a soft start built in. Rcd’s don’t usually like high start up currents. The heat source pump Would need to be protected by a 30 mA Rcd .
There is bound to be other guys replying once the pubs turn out .

Last edited:
At the source I have a 3 phase TT incomer supplying a 3 phase board. There's 3 sub mains from that board to the pool house, tennis court and garden room.

My plan is to upgrade the 3 phase board in the barn using a 4 pole 100ma time delayed RCD as the main switch to cover the 2 SWA sub mains and then 30ma RCBO the barn finals. Then have a 1 way three phase board in the pool house for the pump.

At the source I have a 3 phase TT incomer supplying a 3 phase board. There's 3 sub mains from that board to the pool house, tennis court and garden room.

My plan is to upgrade the 3 phase board in the barn using a 4 pole 100ma time delayed RCD as the main switch to cover the 2 SWA sub mains and then 30ma RCBO the barn finals. Then have a 1 way three phase board in the pool house for the pump.
Your Plan sounds okay to me as long as you get a low enough Earth Electrode resistance. I think you may need to check with the Pump Manufacturer as to what 3-phase RCBO or RCD they may specify. C type etc. They will know the expected inrush current.

Both 100mA and 30mA RCDs should have rod impedances less than 200 ohms (for evidence of stability of earthing, not the 500ohm/1.67k that 50V/In gives) and that is normally OK to meet with a single rod.

But check any existing rods for both soundness of connections and their Ra.

Reply to TT Submains time delayed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net