Discuss Virgin Installer - Safe Zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

I was completing my current job on Friday and whilst I was there the Virgin installer turned up to route a cable into the new extension. He asked the home owner where she wanted it to enter the room and then asked if she knew where the electrical cables were routed? He was pointed in my direction :)

I told him that the cables were routed vertically from above and horizontally in the safe zones so he said it's okay to go below then. Yes, I said. Then he asked me again after, yes I said. Anyway, off he goes and gets all of his kit and starts drilling. I'm outside working and I hear his drill start so I wander in, wait a few seconds and then....

shout as loud as I could BANG!

Oh how funny, he wasn't impressed and he called me a few names under the sun and my reply was, well you should have trusted me. His reply was, I didn't say I didn't.... No need mate, you jumped a freaking mile lol

Fairplay though, he was only a youngun and he did a really neat job and I did explain that whilst he should know about safe zones many people don't but it will do him well to remember what I explained. I do feel though that a letter is required to Virgin asking why the f*** they are sending their installers into the field without this knowledge, it's NOT ON.

My favourite was at weekend when there would only be us maintenance wallah’s on site. All the main shops were lit by 1000W MBFu’s. relamping would be done off the OH cranes.
Wait until an unsuspecting fitter came wandering by underneath, you can guess the rest.
1000W lamps don’t half make a bang when dropped 50 foot.

When i was an apprentice i saw one electrician clap behind another electrician when he was working on something live. He turned round and punched the guy so hard he was out for 2 minuets!

can understand that. if working live, i won't tolerate anyone near me.

When i was an apprentice i saw one electrician clap behind another electrician when he was working on something live. He turned round and punched the guy so hard he was out for 2 minuets!

I have seen that as well TC .................though is was an hairy A miner.

It was on the conveyor coming out of the head, and we were working on changing the pads, the said miner was doing something and asked if the cables were live, to move them, the young sparks said they were dead, which they were, but as the old lad moved them, he got the hand clap, and was not amused.

I can still see the young,un flying across the conveyor after he got a clump from the lad ...................and the team worked on, never saw a thing, he was a big lad that miner !!!!!

they're not carpenters. they are joiners without the skills to use a hammer.

nowadays, it's more like mdf butchers. all weetabix and fibreboard . real wood is best left to real joiners.

Working on a live 415v board about 12ft up, on a ladder, isolating circuits. One d******* of an apprentice shook the ladder. Straight short across 2 phases. Managed to keep hold of the wooden ladder and slid down straight onto my feet. Banged him up against against a wall and shook the sh** out of him. 2 minutes later I was a blackened, quivering wreck. Lucky indeed.

Last edited:

Reply to Virgin Installer - Safe Zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net