Discuss What's in the box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Mentioned this problem last week. Was doing some work for a mate in his new flat and couldn't work out what the system was or where the service fuse was.

Dropped by today and the communal understairs cupboard was unlocked so took a quite piccy of this:

20130813_110845.jpg

Obviously supplies to the six flats in the block and presumably the fuses are within the green enclosure. Anyone got a picture of what I'd be looking at if the seals were to be missing one day and a fuse was to need encouraging to fall out?

DO NOT OPEN THE BOX

It's cast iron, you do not have the required PPE or knowledge on how to open it in a safe manner

Does it really matter if you can't work out the supply type? It looks like a TNS head to me, although if this system is in the london area it should be treated as PME regardless

No idea about the supply type but faced with that there's no way I'm opening that. I'm with Sparkx mate, leave well alone and contact the DNO for the info.

Does it really matter if you can't work out the supply type? It looks like a TNS head to me, although if this system is in the london area it should be treated as PME regardless

Agreed, it now looks like a TN-S head, but previously all I'd seen were a pair of singles coming into the flat 2 floors up through a conduit...

Got a Ze which is fine for PME anyway, just wondering about isolating for a board change.

Cheers for the advice both of you, I guess it's a case of getting the DNO to fit an isolator for this job...

DO NOT OPEN THE BOX

It's cast iron, you do not have the required PPE or knowledge on how to open it in a safe manner

Out of interest mate, why would it matter if he opened the box and why would any special ppe or knowledge be required?

Could be a right pain in the neck if something goes wrong when you are opening it, could down the supply to the other flats and be in a heap of doo doo.

Very neat.
ill tell you what in it. White j pattern type fuses probably 3 with 2 cables into each
slacken the black thumb nuts too much and you will be left with a fuse holder and the fuse stuck in the slot. Not good
your dno are not meant to to work on these if at all possible.
just admire it from afar

Very smart. Intakes should look like this, not a bunch of straggly bits of PVC-sheathed tail and G/Y cables running all over the shop. CI cutouts are still the cat's pyjamas until you have to take the fuse out.

whats all this about opening a box....
or being scared of it?
if (and i say if) you decide to open the enclosure what you will find is a row of fuses to BS3036....they will typically be 60A.
each of the ways will be seperated by a tufnoll.
you will be able to identify the neutral by either visual or by means of your test equipment (think polarity live)..
the fuse carriers will be pots....and no attempt should be made to pull em by hand.
look out for fused neutrals....this should be reported to the DNO.

Reply to What's in the box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net