Discuss When is the 18th Edition not the 18th Edition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Since the dawn of time, people have been portraying things that they sell as more than what they are.

Last few years, you could buy 16th Edition testers, 17th Edition CCU's, etc. The only thing that is XXth Edition is the Regs, but already they are offering 18th Edition test kit.

They can call it anything they want, but that doesn't make it so. The newer kit may do things a bit faster, or have more ranges, but the requirements for test kit are BS 61010 and BS 61557.

They even called CCU's 17th Edition, when it's how you equip and install that will determine whether your installation COMPLIES with the current edition of BS7671.

CCU's are made to a different BS standard anyway. If your kit has regular calibration checks it's good for the job, you don't have to renew it every time the Regs change.

Last edited:
Same as selling Part P as a qualification, it's no wonder there's confusion on these things.

But if you do pass an examination or complete a course in Part P then that is a 'qualification' isn't it? Same as pass an examination or complete a course in BS7671. What's the difference?

But if you do pass an examination or complete a course in Part P then that is a 'qualification' isn't it? Same as pass an examination or complete a course in BS7671. What's the difference?
I agree, but there are many newbies 'doing their part P' who believe that makes them a qualified electrician. I suspect many college courses perpetuate that myth. Unlike 7671 part P is a document that can be downloaded, read and understood in 10 minutes by any electrically competant person.

I agree, but there are many newbies 'doing their part P' who believe that makes them a qualified electrician. I suspect many college courses perpetuate that myth. Unlike 7671 part P is a document that can be downloaded, read and understood in 10 minutes by any electrically competant person.

Never having done the Part P course I don't know what involved.
It may be a simple exam but my point is that it's still classed as a qualification. If the college, or whoever, miss-sell the course then they need their arse kicking. (which I can't see happening...)

In a lot of wholesalers I’ve seen these “Site Guides”
upload_2018-9-24_9-56-12.png

whilst I’m not quiestioning their content they are not these
upload_2018-9-24_9-57-11.jpeg

I’m just wondering how many have bought the above thinking they have the latter.

Reply to When is the 18th Edition not the 18th Edition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net