Discuss When Wet-Pants does the Muc-Spreading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-Matt

-
Reaction score
Got to a job of a second fitting this morning, and went from a rather good mood to ----ing ----ed off when i noticed all my sockets were completely full of plaster and most of the light switches where completely filled and plastered over. :mad:

When Wet-Pants does the Muc-Spreading C8523367-780F-4953-A3E4-41EB8C0F6757 - EletriciansForums.net

There was a data socket to the right, completely hidden!

I immediately went to drag the main builder so he could explain to me what the ---- he had done, to be told “the plumber was short on work, so did the plastering”

I stole 2 of his lads to dig my boxes back out for me, after re-locating where i had put all my sockets and switches etc.
Who managed to break the lugs on 2 sockets after smashing them with a chisel.

I had even gone to the effort of making sure all my cables were nicely coiled up inside the boxes, i should have left them all stucking out!

Just what do these people think they are doing???

Don't leave them sticking out whatever you do.....Plasterers really do have something missing, plumbers too have something else missing but not the same way as the wet trades and keep away from the P&Ds .

The general dumbness and couldn't care less attitude that's everywhere now is so frustrating, just today I was fitting a built in oven to a new housing -left a note for the kitchen fitter to leave the backboard out as the housing would then be just over 500mm deep and the oven is 560mm, guess what he did ??:mad::rolleyes:

For a plumber, he's made a remarkably good job of plastering. not including filling the boxes.
Unless the wall isn't as flat as it looks on the pic

I rember a few years ago the builder put the oven housing unit up side down and fixed the wall to other units. , they put the wrong tall unit in and the back of unit was closed .
you should have seen them taking the units out , pratts.

You could have brushed a bit of mold release,in them boxes,which works a treat and is cheap enough. This,i prefer,as you end up with nice,crisp,square edges,for your faceplates.

Plasterers don't all like 4 sweeps,from every opening,and float and skim,needs something to sit on,if it is to stay flat,whilst hardening.

I realise a lot of the banter on here,is in regard of plasterers you have no control over...but doing a little extra prep,for one that knows his job,pays dividends.

I have just finished my youngest's bedroom,which me good friend,plastered. Double sockets,switches and media outlets,everywhere....and not a single one,where you could put a ruler across and slide in a 25 thou feeler guage :)

Had the same on a job,plaster & screed filling boxes.
Bloke in charge said it was my fault,should have put cardboard in the box on 1st fix to avoid it.
I lost it with him.
Filled a day work sheet,passed it on to the builders,still didn’t get paid though.

Just been doing a kitchen refit myself. Similar thing, not only boxes full of plaster, but cupboards fitted over the top without cutting out for the accessory, or even marking out where they were.

Oven/microwave cupboard similar with back in place.

Pelmets falling of when installing led strip.

Dot and dabbing a wall where originally it was to just be plastered, leaving my back boxes seemingly in the next room.

Plastering up to and around a temporary socket I left for the customer/builder.

Builders tools spread everywhere, along with boxes of kitchen cupboards, all in the work area

The kitchen in question would now be finished, had the builder not cleared off, leaving tiling to be done so I cant fit the new accessories.

The idea of a visit for first fix and another for second fix went out the window ages ago.

A previous job, I'd used the "blank-it" cardboard covers, and the chippy again put a cupboard over the top with no cut out.
When I approached him about it, he said I thought it wasn't needed as I had a cover over it???

Did a nice job a while ago. House ground floor opened up and I first fixed with lighting cables through the plasterboard ceiling for about 10 surface light to be fixed.

Returned after plastering and there was a lovely smooth plastered ceiling, with no cables - they had pushed all the cables up into the ceiling void.
No access from above as the underfloor (wet) heating pipes were now in the floor.
I took great delight in chomping great holes in the new plaster to discover the cables.

Plasterers working on my house have been pretty good and I do feel for the lads that have worked mixing up lime plaster. Even wearing masks they still get exposed to some s**t. Cut my last set of downlights holes yesterday and 100% hit rate for cables being where they should have been.. glad I made detailed diagrams and measurements.
I have one intermediate switch where the cable was sheered leaving me with about 2.5inches to play with:rolleyes:
Now waiting for comments on 2.5inches :D

watch out pirate, there's a splicer eyeing up your main halliard

I think if MR Plumber/Spreader turned up yesterday I would have punched him.

Doing my testing, and had no ring continuity, so clearly there was another socket somewhere.

Being that it was last year that i 1st fitted, I couldn't remember where else there was any sockets, neither could the customer.

So had to crawl through the very tight loft to follow my cables, found another drop, then smashed his ----ing plaster off.

I had to repeat this twice more, and I finally had continuity...
(each time I found one, the customer would go, "ohh thats for the....)

To say I was royally ----ed off was an understatement.......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reply to When Wet-Pants does the Muc-Spreading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock