Discuss Why does my Quinetic wifi dimmer keep failing? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Plumbob

DIY
Reaction score
I have installed a few QURW01 Quinetic 1 Amp WiFi Wireless Switch Receiver for Dimmer Switches in my home. Initially I had a problem with one low voltage (12v) ceiling light which turned out to be caused by exceeding the 1Amp maximum load, so I'm familiar with that limit. Recently, I installed another such unit to control 2 fittings each housing a
Why does my Quinetic wifi dimmer keep failing? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Philips 18W MASTER LED Bulb (100W Replacement) Warm White, Dimmable, E27 Edison Screw . So far, two units have failed with the same symptoms as previously experienced when I exceeded the 1 Amp max - i.e. permanently on and no response to the switch or kinetic app. Each bulb is rated at only 97milli amps, so I don't understand why the controllers keep failing.

Has anyone else experienced similiar problems with Quinetic controllers, or have insight into why they keep failing?

Is it an issue with transformer surge as it powers up?
Also some dimming methods can cause nasty back emf from transformer coils.

Are you using their kit.
(their 1 amp figure may be optimistic)
Quinetic Dimmer Switches must only be used with R301 or RW01 wireless dimming controller.

Is it an issue with transformer surge as it powers up?
Also some dimming methods can cause nasty back emf from transformer coils.
That would be my guess. The Philips bulbs are monsters, so maybe I'll try something a little bit more lightweight. Unfortunately, I need at least 100w equivalents because of the lamp shades.
[automerge]1571486228[/automerge]
Are you using their kit.
(their 1 amp figure may be optimistic)
Quinetic Dimmer Switches must only be used with R301 or RW01 wireless dimming controller.
Yes, everything is Quinetic, and matched. I'm thinking a surge on power up is favourite. Under normal operation the two bulbs should be drawing less than 200mA, well short of the 1 Amp limit.

Last edited:
This is a problem I have also experienced. Using the matched quinetic switch and dimmer receiver I had problems with the luminaires dimming at random, refusing to dim or brighten, and sometimes just not working at all. I raised a query with the supplier who in turn raised it with the manufacturer, and I was advised that the quinetic gear is not 100% compatible with all lighting equipment, even though it would appear to be, on paper. It works well with some gear, not with other stuff. As I am a fan of quinetic stuff, I simply took the dimmable stuff out and replaced it with non-dimmable, and the supplier took back the gear that didn't work. I think it's just a case of hit or miss, unfortunately, but no doubt work will be done to sort this incompatibility.

Reply to Why does my Quinetic wifi dimmer keep failing? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock