Discuss Why does this ceiling light tick?! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

hashamyim

DIY
Reaction score
Hey - so here is a connundrum!
I installed a 5-bulb ceiling light (see pic) but when I put the 4w LED bulbs in, they start making a very rapid ticking sound (sound file here).
The sound is much more pronounced once you put the 4th and more so when you put the 5th bulb in.
To make sure it wasn't the bulbs, I put them in a different lamp (which has 6 bulbs) and there was no noise. I likewise took bulbs which I knew didn't make any noise and put them in this ceiling light and they suddenly started making the noise. I therefore concluded that it was a faulty light fitting, so took it back to the shop to get a replacement. But I just installed the new one and the same thing is happening.
I can therefore only conclude that it is the wiring, but how would that cause such a ticking?!
The light switch is a smart switch (see other pic - glass cover is removed), which also controls the 6-lamp light which works fine and doesn't make any noise.
Not sure if it is relevant, but the cables in the hole in the ceiling were very short so had to extend them using orange wago clips. The wires in the ceiling are single thread, whereas the extension cabling I used is multi-thread copper. I assume that doesn't make a difference...
Does anyone have any ideas?!
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Regards, Rob

TL;DR
Light fitting is making a ticking noise and I'm not sure why, as I have eliminated a lot of plausible factors.

Attachments

• 20230611_112449.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230611_114110.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 12
Likely some incompatibility with the lamps (bulbs), the smart switch and also any driver in the fitting (if applicable, e.g. if they are e.g. 12V lamps). The wiring itself is unlikely to be an issue.

Can you replace the smart switch with a regular type to rule it out as a cause?

Some smart switches with dimmers, especially, cant react funny with LED lamps... causing them to flash, or make a noise.

The light fitting is probably the only thing that is 100% foolproof. Its only connections, wires and lampholders. No electronics that can go wrong.... whereas smart switches and LED lamps are prone to voltage surges, and other external influences.

Reactions: DPG

Some smart switches with dimmers, especially, cant react funny with LED lamps... causing them to flash, or make a noise.

The light fitting is probably the only thing that is 100% foolproof. Its only connections, wires and lampholders. No electronics that can go wrong.... whereas smart switches and LED lamps are prone to voltage surges, and other external influences.
Actually, that's a really good idea. I have a manual switch - will try it with that this afternoon to rule that out also. Watch this space!
Thanks, Rob

Reactions: DPG

So... I took the smart switch off the wall and just connected the two wires together to create a permenant connection - and no noise.
But then, I took a different smart switch (single switch, albeit the same make) and wired that up and the noise came back.
So it is clearly the switch that is causing it. Thanks for the heads up!
The question now is whether there is a way of finding a smart switch that will not cause the buzzing, and/or what it is exactly about the switch that is causing the buzzing in the first place.

does the smart switch require a neutral to operate?

Can you give us the make/ model no. of the switch, or the wiring diagram page off the manual?

In Munich? I'm not sure of typical wiring standards other than UK, but we do have some members who have worked on the continent.

does the smart switch require a neutral to operate?

Can you give us the make/ model no. of the switch, or the wiring diagram page off the manual?

In Munich? I'm not sure of typical wiring standards other than UK, but we do have some members who have worked on the continent.
The neutral is optional on this model. If you choose not to use it, then you have to wire a transistor (which is what I think the small yellow box thing is) across the live-neutral connection on the L1 line.
However, I actually happen to have a neutral line available, as there is a plug below the switch and so the neutral can be spliced from that.
Interestingly, I tried earlier on to see if it was the neutral wire that was causing the problems by wiring the yellow box thing into the light fitting, however the hesds of the little screws in the wire connection plates broke off and the whole light fitting is now a useless pile of crap. I've never known the heads of wiring screws to break.
I'll have to take it back to the shop, so this thread may have to go on hold for a few days!
But thanks for your help so far. It's quite the interesting adventure!
Rob

Reply to Why does this ceiling light tick?! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net