Discuss Wiring a 3 way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wolf865

DIY
Reaction score
New on here and was hoping someone could help me with a wiring problem I can't wrap my head around since it's different from the way I've always wired them in the past. Have been making a few minor electrical upgrades to a (1984) pre-code condo we bought for our kids. Love them but don't want them living with us once they graduate from college here at the end of Fall and Spring semesters. Anyway, decided to turn some single pole switches into 3 way switches, split the light/fan units into two separate switches and make them 3 way as well, change them out to white, etc. Was doing really well until I came to the kitchens 2 gang box which already had a 3 way switch for the kitchen light and a single pole (washer /dryer closet). I thought would be another easy one since it was already set up as a 3 way. What's confusing me is how they wired the 3-way for this particular light? Of course I pulled the switches out without thinking to map it as to how it was currently wired, thinking I could configure it the same as I had all the others. The south gang has a 12/3 wire that it shares with the north gang 3-way, a 12/2 that goes out to the kitchen light, and another 12/2 for the washer/dryer closet. The closet 12/2 wire/switch is different from others in the condo in that it has power on the black wire but both it and the white wire are attached to the light switch. Description is probably clear as mud but if anyone can tell me from what I tried to diagram, what wire to put where it would be appreciated. Not a configuration I normally use and can't figure out how they had it working? Thx, R

Attachments

• Kitchen South Wall.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Kitchen North Wall.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 8
Think I've found a diagram that will work? Just don't remember there being any wires that were twisted together when I pulled it apart, but we'll see tonite?

Think I've found a diagram that will work? Just don't remember there being any wires that were twisted together when I pulled it apart, but we'll see tonite?
For a real 3 way switch you will need a 3 conductor with ground cable from the light/ fan combo to the switch. The white you stated is probably being used as a live wire, it’s supposed to be taped with black tape. I totally agree on it’s time for the kids to get out, they ought to be a law called 20/90 rule. When you turn 20 you have 90 days to get out. Good luck and hope this works for you.

Attachments

• 32C817B4-A95D-4A7E-993E-C1C1BDA28DB8.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 4
For a real 3 way switch you will need a 3 conductor with ground cable from the light/ fan combo to the switch. The white you stated is probably being used as a live wire, it’s supposed to be taped with black tape. I totally agree on it’s time for the kids to get out, they ought to be a law called 20/90 rule. When you turn 20 you have 90 days to get out. Good luck and hope this works for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 4
Got it working, just hope I don't have to go back into that gang box, a lot of wires stuffed in there. Fortunately that was the last of the 3 ways I had to do. Now it's just simple stuff like swapping out ivory switches/outlets for white ones, adding a few extra outlets here and there, installing GFCIs, and turning single switches into two so lights and fans will have their own switch. Those 3 and 4 ways always give me brain fog since I don't have to deal with them very often.

Got it working, just hope I don't have to go back into that gang box, a lot of wires stuffed in there. Fortunately that was the last of the 3 ways I had to do. Now it's just simple stuff like swapping out ivory switches/outlets for white ones, adding a few extra outlets here and there, installing GFCIs, and turning single switches into two so lights and fans will have their own switch. Those 3 and 4 ways always give me brain fog since I don't have to deal with them very often.
Congratulations my friend and good luck

Reply to Wiring a 3 way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net