Discuss Wiring In a Shed, advice needed on SWA route in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a couple of questions regarding running SWA cable between the Internal House CU and The Shed New CU.

The shed is basically being used as a home office and as such has a 6A lighting circuit and 16A Circuit for Socket outlets. Will be running a couple of computers and Monitors.

So, First things first, I understand that running power out to the Shed is notifiable, however I'm not Part P registered, however I do design electrical systems for ships, so I'm a bit beyond a normal DIYer.

House is pretty old and not had a re-wire for a long time.
TN-S Earthing.
I think a new CU in the house is probably best.
RCD protected for House Circuits, Seperate 32A MCBO for supply to Shed, as the Shed CU has its own RCD.
Can the House CU be Changed and retain the original RED/Black house wires?

I need some advice on running the SWA cable from the house CU to the Shed.
Plan is the use 6mm2 SWA, correct glands for earthing or the armour to the Metal CUs and one core for Earth as well as the Armour.

The house has Suspended wooden floor so running the SWA from the consumer unit to the exterior wall is no problem.
Is there a specific requirement for the height the cable must enter/exit the building?
Should the SWA be chased into the wall internally before it goes through the cavity if it has to come out at a certain height?

Once on the outside it will be clipped along the exterior wall where it will head to shed...
Entry through side panelling with drip loop and then into Shed CU.

Shed distribution from Shed Cu is all done in conduit and already wired ready to go.....

Thanks in advance for any input and help, have a beer on me!

Appreciate you saying get a spark in, but that’s not really the advice I was looking for.....

Hi All,
I have a couple of questions regarding running SWA cable between the Internal House CU and The Shed New CU.

The shed is basically being used as a home office and as such has a 6A lighting circuit and 16A Circuit for Socket outlets. Will be running a couple of computers and Monitors.

So, First things first, I understand that running power out to the Shed is notifiable, however I'm not Part P registered, however I do design electrical systems for ships, so I'm a bit beyond a normal DIYer.

House is pretty old and not had a re-wire for a long time.
TN-S Earthing.
I think a new CU in the house is probably best.
RCD protected for House Circuits, Seperate 32A MCBO for supply to Shed, as the Shed CU has its own RCD.
Can the House CU be Changed and retain the original RED/Black house wires? YES

I need some advice on running the SWA cable from the house CU to the Shed.
Plan is the use 6mm2 SWA, correct glands for earthing or the armour to the Metal CUs and one core for Earth as well as the Armour.OK

The house has Suspended wooden floor so running the SWA from the consumer unit to the exterior wall is no problem.
Is there a specific requirement for the height the cable must enter/exit the building?NO
Should the SWA be chased into the wall internally before it goes through the cavity if it has to come out at a certain height? NO

Once on the outside it will be clipped along the exterior wall where it will head to shed...
Entry through side panelling with drip loop and then into Shed CU.

Shed distribution from Shed Cu is all done in conduit and already wired ready to go.....

Thanks in advance for any input and help, have a beer on me!
MY THOUGHTS IN BLOOD.

Maybe I should say, I’d like the chase the SWA in the internal wall before exiting the building....is that ok to do, taking into account the bed radius of the cable?

Appreciate you saying get a spark in, but that’s not really the advice I was looking for.....
ok maybe you should not get one in ,maybe you ring you building control and ask them .
in the end you will get one in to sign it off .

Definitely, I know it notifiable work so will need to get BCD to test and inspect. This is just questions so I know where I can run the cable to get it out to the shed

Can the House CU be Changed and retain the original RED/Black house wires?

All depends on the quality of the cable and whoever changes the CU can test this. Or get an Electrical Installation cert done before hand to see if the existing circuits are suitable.

Is there a specific requirement for the height the cable must enter/exit the building?
Should the SWA be chased into the wall internally before it goes through the cavity if it has to come out at a certain height?

Hard to totally understand how you are routing the armoured cable but it's armoured so IMO no need to chase into a wall.
If taking the cable through the cavity make sure the cable is at a slight downward angle ( from inside to outside wall) to stop water transfering from outside wall to inside wall.

Is the shed attached to the house?

Oh and welcome to the forum mate.

Shed not attached to house, it’s about 5 meters away but have a nice solid brick wall to run the cable along outside, but I don’t know whether I should bring the cable outside under the floor board level, which would make it run along the base of the external wall before it gets to the wall and then bring it up vertically or if I should bring it up vertically inside the house, chased into the wall before Exiting the building. Do t really want the SWA pinned to the inside wall.

If you are intending to route the cable the same route as the existing black cable then I don't see a problem.
Try and get at least the minimum bent radius for the 6mm while going round the corners.

Just to add to @buzzlightyear post #6 above, when you ring building control and get a price for the work, it might be cheaper for an electrician to do it. They pay a lot, lot less to building control.

If you are intending to route the cable the same route as the existing black cable then I don't see a problem.
Try and get at least the minimum bent radius for the 6mm while going round the corners.
What looks like a cable is actually a pipe for the watering system in the garden, it actually passes underneath the door step to the other side of the door

Could I find a friendly local electrician and offer to do the labour myself such as running the cables, fitting everything etc etc and pay them for final connection/sign off?

Could I find a friendly local electrician and offer to do the labour myself such as running the cables, fitting everything etc etc and pay them for final connection/sign off?
Only if he had inspected and verified the installation at the crucial stages, may find someone who is willing to it for cash in hand as he drives by.

Maybe, but you'll need them to be involved from the start to design the circuit and tell you where and what to do.

They will also need to inspect it at different stages of the install.

I know most wont mind you doing the donkey work, like digging a trench etc..

Maybe, but you'll need them to be involved from the start to design the circuit and tell you where and what to do.

They will also need to inspect it at different stages of the install.

I know most wont mind you doing the donkey work, like digging a trench etc..
No trenches to be dug on this one, the cable will run along the wall.

I was think more of running cable from end to end CU to CU,with everything in place ready to be connected

No trenches to be dug on this one, the cable will run along the wall.

I was think more of running cable from end to end CU to CU,with everything in place ready to be connected

You'll have to call a few and see what they say. I doubt they will have a problem with it. However they will specify what cable to use and where to run it etc..

It will be their name being signed against it.

You'll have to call a few and see what they say. I doubt they will have a problem with it. However they will specify what cable to use and where to run it etc..

It will be their name being signed against it.
I’d be the same in my day job, anything I have to sign my name to has to be properly ratified by myself

Reply to Wiring In a Shed, advice needed on SWA route in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock