Discuss Would you energise a modified circuit without RCD protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Pretty much what the title is.

Asked to do a job, don't have time to do the board change but could make the changes to the kitchen socket circuit...

So testing of sockets would be done, but no RCD protection (very old board so no upgrade path) until CU is changed in Jan

Tin hat on!

Pop corn at the ready.

Pretty much what the title is.

Asked to do a job, don't have time to do the board change but could make the changes to the kitchen socket circuit...

So testing of sockets would be done, but no RCD protection (very old board so no upgrade path) until CU is changed in Jan

Tin hat on!

Pop corn at the ready.
What's wrong with the existing CU?

Modified in what way?
If installing sockets then you would be required to protect them via 30mA rcd or depending how the cables are installed they may require it also.
Even if it was temporary modified until the board change then compliance with bs7671 is still required for the works you’ve carried out when putting the modified circuit into service.

ae235.jpeg
?

By the time and money you spend trying to circumnavigate the circuit that will eventually have to be done it is not worth the effort.

In all seriousness, I would consider fitting an upfront 30mA RCD to satisfy the needs of ADS unless all supplementary bonding is in place?

It's been safe enough for the last few years and if you're satisfied there's no immediate risk then potentially you could leave as is. However without knowing the state of the installation then its only your decision.

Just faffing on with tails etc adds time and journeys to the job . I would just go for the complete planned solution from the outset.
As above though - you know the state of the installation.

The job is complete when the certificate is complete ...

The owner has lived in the house for 25 years and doesn't understand why she needs a new fuseboard anyway ..................

I took on a rewire recently where the original spark had completed the kitchen and energised it with no RCD protection. I was asked for my thoughts and honestly replied that it didn't comply with the current regulations.
I rewired the property but energised circuits, before the new board was mounted, through a temp board equipped with 30mA RCDs that came off the Henley blocks. I kept a note of the test results for these circuits and transferred the circuits when the new board was mounted.
It was the safest and most compliant way I could think of. The new CU needed to occupy the space that the original one did so I could not have them running side by side.

Reply to Would you energise a modified circuit without RCD protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net