Discuss Your views...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickys86

Hi guys I have a megger 1553b and very happy with said equipment, just out of curiosity thou. What do you think of this? I was just handed it by my tutor at college........ ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335860115.966963.jpg

looks good, but is it a cheap chinese copy of a fluke?

I found these when I was looking at testers. I am pretty sure Ideal is an american brand but I could find very little info on them. I think there is a youtube video on them and it looks ok but no idea on performance and reliability.

i'd keep your £400+ in the bank and stick with the megger. the cash will be there for calibration costs and possible repair of the megger.

i'd keep your £400+ in the bank and stick with the megger. the cash will be there for calibration costs and possible repair of the megger.

Had no intentions of getting it tel. I'm loyal to my megger just hope it stays loyal to me!! Haha

Was just curious about it that's all. And now I can chat about it in class :)

got mine off ebay ( 1552 ) . for £140. it was sold as having inaccurate low ohms continuity readings, which was confirmed on calibration. all other functions are spot on. i use a megger BM401 for continuity and general fault finding as it's easier to use in awkward spaces.

There is not enough long term feedback on the Ideal 61-255 in UK yet to be able to make a reasoned judgement in my view. On US forums the feedback is mixed, few reliability horror stories, issues with OLED display mainly, but no evangelists for the brand either, which is strange in a country where everybody and their dog usually has something to say about any topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bFrDCGQY7s

Last edited by a moderator:
i use a metrix.....its MOD issue stuff but their part of chauvin arnoux now.... MX4900MOD...looks the same as the megger cm200 but does the tests of the megger cm400...i paid £50 for it....callibration was £35...treated it to a new set of leads before callibration...that was £30....so all in all about £115-£120....which aint bad for what it can do.....

Well this afternoon the tutor gave us guys one to look at and play with. Why anyone would choose one over a fluke or megger (over than price) is beyond me. It was small, fiddly and no where near layed out as well as the other testers on the market.

This is who make then, never heard of them, but I suppose we all have to start somewhere and can't find any bad press on them either..
Testers & Meters - IDEAL INDUSTRIES

Just look too small for my liking..

IDEAL INDUSTRIES are a massive electrical component and instrument American company.

I doubt though that there would be much call for such an instrument in the States, they don't have anywhere near such a comprehensive inspection testing procedure that is compulsory in Europe. lol!!!

Neweys have been flooded with ideal screwits and wago style connectors lately, havn't had the confidence to buy & try yet though.

Very reasonably priced though.

Reply to Your views...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net