Discuss Ze in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ross1

-
Reaction score
hi all, I posted about this recently and didn't manage to get back online till now.

I've got a Fluke 1653b multi function meter. In the last few weeks it has stopped recording Ze and Zdb readings ( readings on L-E setting) are 0.00 and on L-N reading are0.00 and PFC is 10kA ( this only happens on tncs and tns systems)

I've noticed that the Zs readings can vary quite a lot if taken at a socket outlet etc. Within seconds of testing it.

It was last calibrated in June. Do you think it's a fault with the tester or are the leads on their way out. Changed batteries.

Anyone experienced this before, I need my tester pretty much daily, how can I sort this out asap.

Cheers

Try a new set of leads? If your current leads are fused (as they should be), take the fuses out and clean the ends of the fuses. If possible clean the contacts that touch the fuses and any others in the leads. Dodgy leads can upset the zeroing process.

I did post an answer to your previous thread about this... this is what I wrote:
This might sound daft but is it possible that you have nulled the leads with bad contact at the probes or nulled one set of leads and are now using another, so that the stored offset is too high? The 1653 saves the null and uses it on continuity and loop impedance tests until you change it. Then when you take a reading it will subtract too much and possibly hit zero every time on low Zs and low continuity readings.

I don't know what it does if measurement minus null is less than zero - one would hope it would show a negative figure to indicate an invalid null but I know at least one old model of tester that didn't, so it still gave a sensible-looking zero with the probes held together leading you to assume that the null is correct.

Reply to Ze in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net